The MFJ-1935 Cobweb antenna review and on-air test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Nov 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AH FORGET ABOUT THE ANTENNA GUYS!!! THE VIDEO PROVES THERE'S ALOTTA "CUTIE YLs" IN OUR "BOYZ" HOBBY!!! :)

2. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

Whould this antenna outperforms a homemade dipole with a 1:1 balun ?

3. NV2K

NV2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Not in terms of gain. The advantages of the Cobweb design over a basic dipole include:
    1. Multiband (resonance in the five highest ham HF bands)
    2. Compact (fits into area less than 3m x 3m)
    3. Relatively omnidirectional (also a liability; less gain; less quiet)
    A dipole can outperform this antenna on its resonant band in its directions of maximum gain. It is something to consider if you want a relatively compact antenna with a near-omnidirectional pattern that is resonant on these five bands.

K7TRF likes this.
  4. ON6AB

ON6AB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did some comparison between an AV620 vertical mounted 6m AGL and a cobweb at 10m AGL.
    I compared a lot of stations on FT8 reported signal strenght and carrier strenght on a FLEX3000 panadapter.
    It tuned out that on average, the cobweb has a 4dB gain advantage over the vertical on regular DX (because of ground gain).
    For extreme DX, (Europe to West Coast , VK and ZL) they are on par but only on 20m.
    On the higher bands, the cobweb always has the advantage (because the radiation angle becomes lower).
    Tuning a cobweb is very critical and detuning because of rain can be severe. In my case it was almost 250Khz which rendered the cobweb practically useless.

5. N7TEI

N7TEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Been using the MFJ-1835 for 6 months now. i work exclusively CW and SSB. Spent two days assembling the antenna and over a week tuning each band right where I wanted it. Easy to install and has already survived the Utah weather and a few moderate wind storms without a glitch. Its mounted on a pipe in the back yard at 28 feet without any nearby antennas or obstructions. Overall, it has poor performance on almost every band when compared to a Carolina Windom at 34 feet. Worked several stations and nets with both antennas and am consistently getting better reports when I am on the wire antenna.

6. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would love to see bandwidth specs in antenna reviews. A wire dipole can be <1:1 across the band on most bands but anything with a coil etc bandwidth can be very narrow. Bandwidth is a critical data point not sure why it is not included in more reviews. Here is an example from a 4 band vert by Mosely. I chose to show bandwidth below 1.5:1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]