The KF5INZ "Easy Digi" digital mode interface for sound card modes

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by N5CEY, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

The IPad/IPhone/Ipod touch interface is now on ebay for $36.95 plus $5.15 shipping to the U.S.A.
    Shipping to other counties is in the shipping details.
    The price went up by $2.00, but now includes the audio and microphone jack cables/connectors.
    ebay Item number: 221045248245

2. N5CEY

Just finished a do it yourself printed circuit board kit of the Easy Digi. Priced at $8.95 plus $2.00 shipping. It even includes solder as well as instructions.
    We've sold over 350 of the original units, and thought this might fly - heck of a bargain for the price. Ebay item 221082800840. For those who do not wish to use EBAY, you can email us at cliffordwareham1 at juno dot com or kf5inzares at gmail dot com. We accept paypal or check or money order. Please do NOT send cash - gets lost in the mail.

DSCF0271.JPG new xfmr cropped.jpg View attachment EasyDigi Schematic.pdf

Assembled product shown for illustration purposes only. what you will receive is a KIT of parts as shown in the first picture. You will need to assemble this unit.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. KD2AMZ

KD2AMZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KF5INZ went the extra mile when I had driver problems. KF5INZ sent me a new USB to RS 232 interface with driver disk. The Easy Digi works like a dream.

4. N7SZF

N7SZF Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought the solder yourself kit off eBay. Easy assembly, simple instructions. Even had solder included in the kit! The only problems with the kit were those I made for myself. Soldering to the 8 pin kenwood connector was the most time consuming part. I finished the kit quickly and it worked perfectly first try. My Kenwood TS-50S is running digital without a hitch. They will send the enclosure for an additional $4 - worthwhile investment all around.

5. AF4PD

AF4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Easy Digi PCB, and I want to use it to connect a Yaesu FT-8800R to my laptop. I can't find any instructions to do this. So how can I do it? Or is there a plug-ready version of the Easy Digi that I should have?
    John AF4PD

6. N5CEY

Hi John,
    Please message me via email: cliffordwareham1 at juno dot com
    We can help you out but need to send you some pdf files.

7. N5CEY

The Ipad/Iphone/Ipod touch interface also works with the DROID II Phone!

8. KA3X

KA3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, based on what was said here I decided to get one for my Icom IC-730 two weeks ago. He even custom added a switch and connector for my microphone so I wouldn't have to swap out connectors to switch between digital and voice. It worked for VOX, but would not key up otherwise. I sent it back for him to check it out and it worked on his radios with the right mic cord adapter.A bit of detective work on Clifford's part based on readings from my radio resulted in us finding out that this old radio drew almost 70mA to key the transmitter, which was way more than the 1 to 2 mA that most modern radios draw. With this information, he added a trasnsitor after the optocoupler in a Darlington configuration to handle the current. It just arrived today and it worked first time right out of the box!

Clifford is a great guy to deal with. There were no hassles, even after having it back twice, first to check the components and then second time to add the transistor. And even with the $10 extra for the extra jack an switch for my radio it was still more than 1/2 what the next lowest priced box would have cost! I can't wait to get some RTTY, SSTV, and other digital modes in my logbook.

Michael
    N0YBC

9. AK4QK

AK4QK Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased an interface from Clifford for use on my DROID II smartphone. Works great and as an added bonus I can also use it with my IPOD or an iPhone if I buy one. Bottom line- it's a great interface, works well and Clifford has great service before and after the sale! If you are thinking about purchasing one, do it!
    Randy
    AK4QK

10. N1UMC

N1UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the assembled unit from Clifford. The unit worked great until I evidently pulled on one of the cables too hard. I sent it back to Clifford after speaking with him on the phone to diagnose the problem. The unit works great and is well assembled. I use it with my TS-430S for digital on the ham bands as well as MARS digital work. Setup is easy and Clifford is exemplary in customer service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.