The KF5INZ "Easy Digi" digital mode interface for sound card modes

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by N5CEY, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KF0MP

KF0MP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The first easy digi I used was for a HT. I have four for different radios. The last one I ask that a Mike jack be added so i do not need to unplug the digi device and plug in my Mike. kf5inz did it for me. U want something give them a call. I have never had any problem and it is a plug and play device each time, even tho it is not advertised that way.

2. VE7SXS

VE7SXS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an IC 756 p3 and an IC 7000 and...anew iPad 3. Do you have an interface cable or some kind of scheme to connect the radio, the interface, and the iPad together? I think it will all work, but the question is how.

3. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Simon,
    I would have to know the pin-out on the iPad, and you would probably have to supply me with the connector after we determined we could interface the iPad. Do you have any of the technical details on the iPad? Please email me at cliffordwareham1 at juno dot com.
    I'm interested - and have done interfaces for both of those radios, but the iPad is a new twist. Would be nice to figure it out.
    Thanks for your post.
    Clifford

4. VE7SXS

Dear Clifford

I can supply you with various connectors, but your question about the technical details of the iPad are beyond me. I suspect the developers of an application such as iSDR know the pin out arrangement of the HD port; QSTACK has an article about the special plug required for the headphone/microphone jack.

My guess is that, because of the proprietary mentality of Apple, you may not get much help from them, but there are a few applications that encourage the use of digital modes through the iPad. All of these applications seem to rely on one of two central ideas; use the headphone/microphone and a vox unit as an input/output path, or use the Apple camera connector kit, which attaches to the HDMI port on the lower edge of the iPad, and then to input/output the digital signal through the standard USB port on the camera interface.

Interestingly, the QST article from May 2011 says that a 2.2k resistor in line with the four-segment audio/microphone plug (standard iPad/iPhone/earphone and integrated microphone 1/8 inch plug) tricks the iPad into thinking there is microphone attached.

I think there's a bit of an opportunity here; a simple way to connect the iPad via your interface to an hf radio. As an indication of the opportunity that awaits, think of how many millions of iPads and iPhone that are out there, and then note that Signalink has not yet produced a simple plug and play solution to this problem. The field's open.

5. N5CEY

Simon, give me a bit to look into this - maybe we could be on to something - then again, maybe not. I think the VOX idea has some merit as we have done it with other radios.
    I will give you a shout as soon as we know something.
    Clifford

6. VE7SXS

Thanks for taking me seriously, Clifford. I will wait to see what you come up with.

7. VE7SXS

Dear Clifford

When you do make a decision, please contact me through the following email address: sthompson@nwcc.bc.ca. I find the QRZ forum a bit difficult to navigate.

8. N5CEY

Sent you an email.
    Clifford

9. N5CEY

By a potential customer request we have come up with an interface for the Iphone, Ipod Touch, and Ipad. The Ipod Touch and Ipad need to have microphone input on them.
    To date, we have only tested this on a brand new 4th generation 32 GB Ipod Touch using the app called PSKer by Mark Oskin. This app is in the Apple App store and only costs $2.99
    There are several other psk apps in the app store that cost a little more but may have better features. We got this one just to test the system out and it's simple and works. The only problem we see with this app is that the screen contrast leaves a lot to be desired.
    For now, this interface uses the VOX circuit of your transciever to do ptt, therefore it does leave out a lot of vhf radios, but we're working on that. Will work with about all hf and multi-mode transcievers that have built in VOX.
    Hopefully, I'll hold my mouth right and be able to attach a couple screen shots from the Ipod, a pic of the interface with the Ipod, and the link to the app.
    Anyone interested can contact me at cliffordwareham1 at juno dot com. Don't have this up on ebay yet, but soon to be. Pricing is $34.95 plus shipping ($5.15 priority mail shipping in the U.S.). 0607121717a.jpg photo.PNG photo2.PNG
    Here is the link to the app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/psker/id506427138?mt=8&ls=1

The Ipod Touch and audio cables are NOT included.

10. KF0MP

KF0MP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am really behind. But for you who have and use ur IPOD, take a look at this new device. Almost makes me want to get an Ipod, but I am having too much fun using my ICOM 746 pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.