The KF5INZ "Easy Digi" digital mode interface for sound card modes

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by N5CEY, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Larry, After looking at the specs for the 4n25 opto and looking at the schematics, I want to say "no problem", BUT, I'm going to borrow a TS-520 from a friend today and will give you a difinitive answer probably this evening or tomorrow morning.
    Cliffford

2. N5CEY

Ok, I have a TS-520 hooked up and running PSK-31 on 20 meters using this interface. Works like a charm.
    No problems at all.
    Measured the open circuit voltage across pins 2 and 3 (PTT LINES) on the microphone connector and got 14.97 volts DC. Measured the current when PTT was active at 2.16 miliamperes.
    Not sure where you got the -60Volts on the ptt lines of the TS-520, but definitely nowhere near that on the ts-520 setting on my workbench.

Short answer: No problem for this interface to run on a TS-520, but thanks for the question - it needeed to be answered.
    73, clifford

3. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the testing of the interface. I don't know where I got the -60vdc keying voltage figure from, I'll research my manual when I get a chance.

4. KJ6SVX

KJ6SVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you supply one that will work with an FT-840? If the answer is yes, can the same unit be used on a TS-430S and what additional cables and/or adapters would be needed?

5. N5CEY

Hi Robert, thanks for your post.
    Yes, and no. - Short answer, but to clarify, Yaesu uses a common ground for microphone, ptt, and other in's and out's. Kenwood uses separate and isolated grounds for microphone and ptt and other in's and outs. Kenwood specifically indicates that to tie the mic ground to the other grounds is to invite hum and other problems so we don't do it.
    Can make an interface for either one though, and have.
    Thanks again,
    73, N5CEY

6. N5CEY

After several requests, We would like to offer "Evaluation Units" to clubs and/or ARES organizations. In order to qualify for an evaluation unit you must submit your club or organization information to us at cliffordwareham1@juno.com - NOT TO THE PRIVATE MESSAGE BOX as I do not check it regularly. I would prefer to have club president or treasurer submit the information to include club name, address, president, treasurer, and contact information. Evaluation units will be sent to clubs or ARES organizations on the basis that if your group likes the unit, it would purchase a minimum of 5 units (including the evaluation unit). If you don't like it after 30 days, just send it back postage paid and you owe nothing. Group purchases of 10 or more units will receive a 5% discount on everything but shipping.

7. KK4CWA

KK4CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I can say this is the best unit made we have tried.

We have tried many and this one wins hands down when coupled with our Soundblaster audigy 2zs soundcards in our mini desktops we take into the field with us.
    We have used these on HF/VHF and UHF and our own guard band 155 mhz band radios and it wins hands down.

Sgt Sean Ross
    KK4cwa

8. KK4CWA

KK4CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

We just opened ours to put a bead ofnon conductive clear sealant at the holes where the cables pass through to help with adverse weather in the field, no problems noted as of yet, Unit works wonderful. Craftsmanship excellent. The parts are actually over rated for this task so they should be rugged and last a lifetime in use even in the field.

9. N5CEY

Our USB to RS-232 Adapter is no longer being supplied with the mini-cd driver CD. As a result, they have given us this link to use to download the drivers directly from the web:

http://www.upzone.com/downloads/summary/5-drivers/96-usb-20-turn-9-needle-serial-cablecl080.html

It includes drives for CE, Linux, Mac, win2000, winVISTA_WIN7, winXP-64, and winXP-2003.
    it is a .rar file so you would also need to download winrar.
    I only have about 10 more usb adapters with the mini cd, after that you must use the link above for the drivers.
    This is still the best USB to RS-232 adapter for the price.

10. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a quick update - even though I have a new rig (the TS480), I do still use the 440 daily to make sure it still works and this interface has been working fabulously. As a matter of fact, I had a PSK31 QSO with N5CEY on 2/23 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.