The KF5INZ "Easy Digi" digital mode interface for sound card modes

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by N5CEY, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

will this work with a TS-440?

2. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom,
    Absolutely - have done several 440's
    Thanks for the inquiry.
    Clifford

3. K9ASE

what is the cost? do you need to install the IC-10 in your TS-440 first?

4. N5CEY

Hi Tom,
    Cost is $34.95 plus $5.15 shipping if you DO NOT need a USB to RS-232 adapter for your computer. Add $7.16 if you need the USB to RS-232 adapter. (if your computer does not have a serial com port then you need the USB adapter).
    You do not need to do anything to your radio other than hook up the interface. You will additionally need 3 either stereo or mono audio cables. We have just started carrying them. a set of 3 cables is $8.00 compared to $6.95 each at the Shack.
    After you get it hooked up, you need to download and install whatever sound card program you want to use. I recommend DIGIPAN as a starter program for those with no digital experience as it is very easy to setup and get running. After that, MSSTV, MTTY, FLDIGI (GREAT PROGRAM), HRD/DM780 (quite complex and powerful, best if your rig can be controlled by the computer), and several others. They are all free downloads, just google them.
    I take paypal or check or money order. My address is good per my qrz page.
    Thanks for your interest.

5. N5CEY

Just wanted to let everyone know that we ran out of pc boards - new shipmnt will be here Friday, 17 February.
    Till then, I have 6 finished complete units available.
    Will have boards built up by Saturday afternoon.
    We are also going to start offering audio cables with the finished units.

6. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you do just audio out to an 8 pin mic cable with an audio connection to the PC? I don't need PTT or anything like that (already controlling that via the 13-pin ACC-2 jack on the back of my TS-440) but I've found that the only way I can get audio to the rig is via the mic-jack for digital modes.

Mic input would need to go to pin 1 and ground would need to go to pin 7. I have something sort of working now but it's not particularly clean...

7. N5CEY

Hi Jim,
    Sure, that would not be a problem - We would just leave off the PTT circuitry and the RS-232 Cable. I presume you still want the receive audio section to remain intact.
    Please contact me at cliffordwareham1 @ juno dot com

8. N5CEY

Hi again - we got lucky and the boards came in two days early (today, 15 Feb 2012) so we're back up and running!

9. K6ABZ

K6ABZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck yeah, that's a useful idea.

Using a VOX PTT eliminates the serial port connection, and it's not like a VOX circuit is that hard to build. Using that instead of the opto-coupler keying circuit makes a lot of sense for a self-contained computer interface.

If you look at the Signalink USB, something that sells for 3x what you're charging, that's exactly what they do: they use a VOX circuit keyed off the audio connection.

Anyone who thinks using VOX is "old school" doesn't realize what you're proposing: it's one less connection, simplifies the whole deal, and it makes it even easier to use - especially with a laptop in a portable scenario. If you use an optocoupler, rather than a relay, you could probably run the circuit for a long time on a 9v battery, keeping the whole thing self-contained.

In fact, this is exactly what I built as a PSK/Echolink interface for my rig... except my box is big and ugly. I'd love something the size of your board that simply plugs in to the 8-pin DIN jack on the back of my ICOM and "just works."

10. K9ASE

when equiped with a USB plug it will work with any open USB port? if so Let's set me up plus the cables

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.