The Kenwood TS-830S - green or red line

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by PB1JB, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:24 AM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. PB1JB

PB1JB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I collect these radio's .. the TS-130 models, TS-530 model and TS-830 model. To make my TS-830S line more complete I am going to buy a VFO-230 from a German HAM. But he only sells the vfo including a TS-830S and SP-230. No problem for me .. if all is ok, I will sell the transceiver and speaker .. no need to have double. But here is my question .. I noticed on some photos this TS-830S has a GREEN line on the analog frequency scale. The 830S I have has a RED line on the analog scale ( above the tuning knob ). Does anybody know if there is any technical difference between the two tranceivers? Or was Kenwood out of red paint .. If somebody knows, please tell ! 73! from Holland .. PB1JB

2. K4DP

K4DP Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K4DP

K4DP Ham Member QRZ Page

All of my TS -830s radios (4) and 2 remote VFOs have red.

4. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the RED units were allowed to ripen before they were shipped...
    Sorry John, I am no help!

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If I remember correctly that line is on a removable plastic plate. You can take it off and make it any color that you like.

Some also have a black line. With a digital readout, That line is rarely used.

Enjoy. Those are good radios that are easy to repair. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 3:42 PM
  6. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

my 830s and 230 vfo both lines are red

7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="PB1JB, post: 4998853, member: 107207"I noticed on some photos this TS-830S has a GREEN line on the analog frequency scale. [/QUOTE]

Only on SOME of the photos, not ALL of them?

Have you asked the seller to confirm the color?

Perhaps it's just a artifact of the lighting/angle of those particular pictures. ;)

8. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 520, a 530, and a 130. All of them have red lines...