The Kenwood 2000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VA3UL, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3UL

VA3UL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been running a Yaseau 767 since new. This has been a great rig but like many of us its starting to show its age. I have read the specs on the Kenwood 2000 and found it to be impressive to say the least. I would like some input from users before I make the purchase,

Tnx in advance ,Dave

2. W9JCM

W9JCM Ham Member

Dont buy dont buy it! I owned this rig for a bit. Boy they sure hyped it now they droped the price something like 600 dollars mmm whats that about? First off TX audio sucks heil or hand mic are both garbage. Second the PEP power is LOWWWWWWWWWWW i could only get about 60-70 watts on this thing no matter what I did. The HF is ok on the rig for rec. But there is allot better out there. And the biggest joke is the terrible rec on the 6/2/432 bands just to worst if you are buying this rig for weak signal work FORGET IT. If you are buying it for HF its ok. There are better rigs out there for the money.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I had the opportunity to use the TS-2000 recently, and I cannot agree with the previous posting. Transmitting into a 1:1:2 VSWR the rig had no trouble producing 90W PEP as measured by a Bird meter. In addition, I found the weak signal performance on 2 metres and 70cms more than adequate using a Diamond X700H dualbander. On 6 metres using a converted CB vertical antenna the weak signal RX was easily up to spec as well.
    On HF, hooked up to a high gain beam, the selectivity was barely adequate under difficult conditions, typical I.F. DSP performance and in keeping with the TS-870SAT which I have owned for two years, the weak signal reception was superb in clear conditions. The TX audio when properly set up was excellent in all modes, the standard mic classed as good, the MC-90 and MC85 being particularly good, drawing many compliments and enquiries as to the working conditions, the R.F. free shack a must with digital machines.
    Any multi-band rig must have design compromises in certain areas, and the TS-2000 is no exception to the rule, but it is superbly designed and constructed, simply oozing quality. I like it very much, and I intend to purchase the TS-B2000 version very soon, try one for yourself because there are so many conflicting accounts of rig performance it's the only sure way to establish "what is".

4. G4YTD

G4YTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned the TS2000 since September and can give nothing but praise for the product. I have recently started using the rig portable, flying a 300 foot wire on top band under a kite. Audio quality always draws comment on the broadcast quality. The machine suffers slightly under noisy conditions, but set the dsp, rf gain etc and its very usable. If you want crisp, clear, noise free copy, buy a landline telephone, this is amateur radio afterall. Incidently i sold my entire shack (FT920, IC275H etc) to buy this box, and without exception it has out performed the old equipment.Hope that helps.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I've had mine about six months. I've yet to use the SAT Mode functions but have used it on HF,6,144, and 440.
    Comparing it to my past rigs I can only say it is the best rig I've owned thus far. For the bucks it can't be beat. It takes awhile to become proficient with the DSP filters but they are superb. My old station had the usual set of outboard filters, keyers, processors and such. This is all part of the T2k and all are working well for me. I use a PK-232 on HF using the back panel jack and have had no problems. I've also used the internal TNC in Packet mode and PCT mode with no problems. PCT mode is really cool. Audio reports are always top notch.
    I'm very happy with my T2k, thus far.
    I did find that I had to use a coax balun(6in,12 turns)on each of the antenna leads coming into the radio. When using an amp I had a bit of chirping(txmt freq changing) while transmitting, due to my other antenna shields picking up the rf. The baluns totally stopped that. I use baluns on each end of my antenna leads now. It sure has cleaned up rf coming back into the shack.

73 de KB7HK

6. XE1HG

XE1HG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

very nice rig, the performance is excellent in all modes including digital and satellite, after a good market study and features comparation, is the best for his price.
    Im very satisfied but remember the best rig for all ¡not exist!, just the right one for you.
    greetings and enjoy your new rig wathever you choose.
    [​IMG]

7. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos to Kenwood!

Except for the birdie on the A0-27 downlink frequency, It is everything I need.  I am saving my pennies to buy another one with the remote control head to use as a mobile.

Dennis - KG4RUL  [​IMG]

8. K4HPP

K4HPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave:

I have owned the TS2000 for 18 months.(Purchased in Feb.2001) It has performed extremely well for me. I sold my less than adequate IC756PRO to get the TS2K and never regretted that move. It performs flawlessly on CW and the 50Hz DSP filtering is excellent. SSB audio reports are also outstanding - even using the hand mic and 20 db compression. I have tested on all bands through 440 MHz with simple antennas and have found both selectivity and sensitivity to be as good as any other rig I have used. You really can't go wrong.

I noticed the "old" date on your message. What did you end up getting?

Jim - K4HPP
    :)

9. W7BO

W7BO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought my TS-2000 Yesterday trading in a Icom 756 and a Icom 820H and was leary of doing this.  I also own a Yaesu FT-1000MP and another 756 and 706.
    I brought this home and after playing with it all yesterday and today, it is amazing I must say.  The rig gets great audio reports, sounds awesum, in fact I can part with my Timewave DSP 599ZX now, as it's DSP is as good or better.  The 2 meter is great, packet spots is outstanding, and power output on my TH6DXX is 93 watts and who is going to see a difference of 7 watts ??    I worked guys last night with 5 watts and outstanding reports on 80 meters.  Although I only have had it 2 days,  I feel it is better then my IC-756,  as good or better then my 820H VHF/UHF All mode.  
    It's a keeper I am sure..  My Yaesu FT-1000MP is in the closet....Will I bring it back [​IMG]??? Time will tell !!!

73  John  W7BO   Woodland Wa  [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.