The K3NG Arduino CW Keyer

Discussion in 'Arduino Playground' started by G8FXC, May 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having retired my microHam MicroKeyer 2, I'm on the point of dusting down a spare Arduino MEGA 2560 and putting together a K3NG keyer. I made an attempt yesterday evening at setting up the Arduino IDE on my Linux laptop and compiling the source code, but that was a bit of a disaster. The latest Arduino IDE from their web site does not install and run cleanly on the current Ubuntu release and the early version of the IDE on the Ubuntu archive does not compile the code - threw out close to a hundred errors of all kinds...

So, I'm now on the point of booting up the Windows laptop to install the IDE there and see if I get further... Has anyone else round tried it? If so, any lessons learned?

Martin (G8FXC)

2. KC9DLM

KC9DLM Ham Member QRZ Page

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since my original post, I have breadboarded it, tested and transferred it to a wirewrap prototyping HAT board that is sitting top of an Arduino Mega 2560. I still have a few components to add - currently does not have the command and memory keys and the key and paddle connections are floating in space. I'm also not sure if I want the speed pot - have bought one, but not installed the connector.

The result is impressive - particularly the decode function - it latches on quickly to quite fast morse and decodes it with remarkable accuracy give that it is running on a fairly slow and primitive processor. I have an unused Arduino Due that I might press into service - much faster processor that should be able to implement tighter filtering and better noise reduction. But the Due brings its own issues - runs at 3.3V which might complicate the interfaces to peripherals and it has no EEPROM to store parameters - I ordered an external EEPROM through eBay, but it never arrived...

Next job is to design a case that I can 3D print - then I'll have a very nice keyer...

Martin (G8FXC)

4. KC9DLM

KC9DLM Ham Member QRZ Page

good stuff! Please post what you end up with - particularly interested in seeing how the printed enclosure ends up.