The journey to the rare county line may begin soon!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB7QPS, Aug 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

I skipped the Washington State QSO Party last fall due to an extremely difficult courseload that I had for my MS in Aerospace Engineering, but things are better this fall, and I think I may be able to go back to the rare county line for the Washington State QSO Party aka the Salmon Run!

It's the same setup as before - heavy portable with a Icom radio, 1kw amplifier, 80-6m Off Center Fed antenna, and a great big camping tent.

There may be a special spin on it this year, but that won't be announced until later if negotiations prove fruitful.

There is one big hiccup - the county line is on fire! There are two big forest fires that are raging right now in close vicinity to where I like to setup. Looking at the fire maps, my exact camping spot is spared although just to the south the fire has blackened the landscape. The whole forest is closed right now. I am hoping that it will reopen in 3 weeks time, but time will tell whether that is something that happens or not.

Today I reserved a Uhaul trailer to haul the equipment in. As you may remember, I have more gear than I can fit inside my Subaru Outback so I have to rent a trailer to carry the extra gear.

Stay tuned! I'll update this thread as time goes on.

N3AWS likes this.
  2. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like fun! Be careful.
    Hope you will keep us posted.
    How do you power the amp, generator?
    GL

David, K2WPM

3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful!

4. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I run a 3.5 kw Honda generator during the expeditions. It seems to work fine to power the generator, computer, monitors, and transceiver.

Heat and light is provided by a Coleman lantern.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is this?