ad: chuckmartin

The j-pole antenna is fixed...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KX4O, Jul 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC modern struts and disc brakes go back to the 1930's but I guess no one saw the need

K8XG likes this.
  2. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well that was much ado about nothing. Imagine that...... patents on a piece of water pipe that radiates. How will I get back my time wasted?

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

n8zi---

8s f8r 8s I 8m concerned , h8rdly 8 w8ste of 8nyone's time.

8m8zing th8t you would 8tt8ck th8t effort.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    WR2E and KM4WRQ like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again:

Making assertions about alleged prior art , that undermine John's effort, require evidence.

Failure by some post-ers here to cite it (after I explained claims and 'obviousness' concerns), only indicates, IMO, laziness and ignorance and jealousy of someone else who works hard. came up with something new and useful, and paid the price to bring it forward.

It is one of our particularly flagrant detriments, today, of the amateur radio service, IMO. It would be hard to imagine such an anti-technology stance , say, 50 years ago, amongst hams.

There are thousands of inventors who are hams. The reason you don't hear much about it is the dissing you are seeing here. Many feel that if you stick out a finger that you will lose your arm.

Chip W1YW

K8XG, W0PV and N0TZU like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

n8zi sed:

I think its peachy keen that the FBI saw the value in John's efforts and funded through the patent.

Good guys down there in Virginia, doncha think?

Chip W1YW

K8XG and N0TZU like this.
  6. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I applaud John and his hard work, he certainly has something useful here. But with so many available antenna choices & designs for VHF/UHF etc., and with all of them working quite well for most purposes, I must ask - is it worth the trouble?. I can build or buy a good 5/8-wave collinear antenna and likely not have to worry about patent issues. Ditto a quarter or half wave ground-plane antenna. On my tower now is an old Hy-Gain V2r collinear and it works wonders :).

KX4O likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Clearly there are needs where the 'antenna' needs to look like something else. That is one option for these designs. I am sure there are others.

K8XG and K7LZR like this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@KX4O, Congratulations! I just looked over your patent, and that is indeed an exceedingly thorough job of it, especially as you said all the prior art! (I have several myself so I appreciate the work you put in on the patent, and of course on the invention).

W1YW likes this.
  9. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite benefit of this Mast Mountable J is the stout grounding and dead short coax center to shield it provides while still being an antenna at the design frequency. It's another choice in the tool bag.
    For my current QTH purposes the J didn't survive my trade study. My rooftop antenna is the Diamond CP22E. Not as robust as plumbing pipe, but I like 5 dBi. Review here in case anyone has time to kill. Viva la choice.

By the way everyone... one of the nice finds during all this research is the positive utility of the roll up J antennas. Thus configured the single band variations have no conductive mounting structure to worry about. Measurements confirm the ferrite, for VHF at least, chokes the common mode feed line RF currents quite well or at least good enough to make a positive difference - The ferrite or equivalent choke mechanism on the transmission line is required. This yields an end-fed vertical dipole with a free space gain figure of just over 2 dBi wherever you can hang it. Nice!

K8XG, W1YW and N0TZU like this.
  10. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dean Wormer is a good, but wouldn't a guy from Animal House prefer MISSES Dean Wormer?

Both great Movies: But this one is what I was thinking.... very Apropos.

Erika DD