The Icom IC-705! HF-UHF SDR Radio - An initial review

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK7HH, Sep 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I mis understood! I thought you were saying the 705 is selling for $1400. So sorry.
    Barry

2. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

For digital modes, especially FT(n), it will be a winner. If you combine it with an OK dipole, and go out into the field, you will make plenty of contacts.

3. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, your computer will make plenty of contacts. You'll be busy fly fishing or drinking beer. :D

US7IGN, WA3YAY and N3AB like this.
  4. W5IEI

W5IEI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've always tried to be the strongest station on the band,not the weakest.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Might start by not using your ID as an avatar :rolleyes:

6. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I am completely with you on this. I don't disparage the guys who do it, but I have no love for QRP.

I am a bit baffled as to why Xeigu can put such a beastly tuner into their radio, but none of the big three can manage that on a QRP rig. (It make a lot more sense on a 100w radio though).

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have an IC-740, with the built in power supply. I am the original owner. Haven't used it in a long time but it has always been a great little rig.

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is one of the great things about the hobby, diversity. I worked with a guy at Harris who never ran more than one watt, most of the time he ran a hundred milliwatts or less. Extreme QRP was his thing, that and experimenting with huge wire arrays.

US7IGN and NL7W like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what some people say. Mostly people who don't use FT8/4. :p

KC3RN and EI4HWB like this.
  10. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I care less about bells, whistles, and eye candy than I do about how well a rig pulls a weak CW signal out of the noise floor. In this respect, beating Elecraft in the portable QRP marketplace will take some doing. I’m anxious to see how the 705 stacks up in this regard.