The Icom IC-705! HF-UHF SDR Radio - An initial review

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK7HH, Sep 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a 7300, preordered and Day 1'd a 9700, and do also happen to have a 703 that I love very much (and sometimes prefer over the 7300 for listening and digital!)

I preordered a 705 ten minutes after HRO put the preorder page up.

Extremely excited.

It's not _meant_ to be a desktop rig. If you can't find 1,000 uses for a 160-through-70cm 10watt SDR that fits in a day pack, has a microUSB on the side for control and audio, and takes HT batteries, you're not thinking hard enough.

Even a few watts is p l e n t y to work local repeaters if your station is solid; mine will be either scanning machines or parked on 50.125 with the squelch up listening for those sweet openings, freeing up the "big rigs" for operation on other bands.

If you don't care about HF voice, and like the deedles and beeps, 10 watts will be a perfectly fine primary rig with even a mediocre antenna. Saves on PSU spend, too.

I will say that I frowned a bit with the lack of tuner, but I guarantee you LDG will come out with a cute little snap-on tuner. I'd also be happy with just throwing a tapped L and a small air variable C in a Bud box and having a lil' L network tuner for the field. I also have one of those MFJ "big stick" 17ft base loaded verticals that I've kitted out with a nice radial set and a telescope tripod. It dips SWR just fiiiiiine.

KK4CUL and NL7W like this.
  2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is alive folks.

3. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm wondering if Icom won't eventually release a separate RF expansion deck that would include a 100 watt amp and antenna tuner. That would render the IC-7100 obsolete....

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe. Of course you can already purchase a small solid state amp for the purpose. It just won't be pretty and all and say "Icom" on it. ;)

As for an antenna tuner? You can build or buy an antenna tuner, in kit for for as little as 20 bucks, and it may have more range than a fancy built-in auto tuner and not be much more of a hassle to use.

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Other QRP rigs are not SDR, touch screen, ect.
    if a tuner was included, then the price would increase.
    How many doubloons more would you pay?

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

True enough, and good question--probably a hundred more, which should be more than enough. Yes, I know I can build/buy a tuner/matcher for far less but it's another box to have to account for and lug around. (You can tell I'm a red-blooded American--convenience over practicality. : ) )

7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Did I miss something? Where did you see the price of $1400?

I bet it is going to go for a lot more.....but....that's just a GUESS on my part.
    No on board tuner? Deal breaker for me, and I only use resonant antennas !
    Barry, KU3X/QRP

8. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, the price of the KX3 (with ATU included) is listed on Elecraft's site as $1387 plus change. That does include the ATU, of which I was not aware, my bad. And I said "almost $1400," which $1387 definitely is. :)

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

There is this:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=X5105

Say or think whatever you like about Chinese rigs, but it works and will tune anything; though the usefulness of an extremely mismatched antenna is on QRP is dubious.

K4HAS likes this.
  10. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

$600 for a 5W rig with a builtin ATU? Thanks, but no thanks. $400 would get me a pretty decent used 100W rig, and I could homebrew a nift antenna tuner with the other $200.

Of course, if miniaturization and portability are your concerns, I say go for it. Not me, though. :)