The Icom IC-705! HF-UHF SDR Radio - An initial review

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK7HH, Sep 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a similar thread about the IC-705 in the QRP forum. A number of us wonder why there isn't a built-in antenna tuner.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"They won't sell one to me."

"I won't buy it."

"I think it's a joke."

There, fixed it for ya. ;)

3. W4NNF

That's not hard to figure out. Increased weight, size, and expense. You can build or buy a rather tiny manual tuner for a few bucks, and a manual tuner isn't exactly hard to use... ;)

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

True, but if you're paying a lot of doubloons for a whiz-bang piece of equipment already, you'd expect that something as mundane as an antenna tuner would be included since other rigs have one included as well.

It's a niche product to be sure, but I wouldn't mind having one!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably too small to fit the parts/board.

According to prelim specs I've seen, this rig is only 7.9" x 3.1" x 3.3" and weighs 2.25 lbs -- and has a built-in battery pack!

This is in the "volume and weight" league with an FT-817/FT-818 and those are 5W rigs which also have no internal ATU. The IC-705 evidently runs 10W, so it has a 3 dB power advantage over the Yaesu, but looks like it's not only more powerful but also may be easier to use in the field with a way larger display.

Unless it's overpriced, I'd expect it to be very popular with QRP/portable/SOTA ops.

KA4DPO and W2TXB like this.
  6. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

A grid driven Triode or Tetrode can take that little '705 to a kilowatt

7. W4NNF

Well, you paid a considerable number of dineros for the FT-817 when it came out--no tuner, either. ;)

8. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have yet to see a modern rig with a built-in ATU that was terribly robust. Most can't handle anything above a 3:1 SWR mismatch. Hardly worth the trouble. I long for the days of the single-box rig: everything needed built-in, including the power supply. Yes, more expensive, bigger, and heavier, but I can live with that. Heck, when you add in the cost of all the accessories you need to get a modern rig "air worthy" a single box model might end up being less expensive. Who knows?

9. KK4CCA

KK4CCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Lab599's Discovery TX-500 (www.lab599.com) looks quite impressive! If only the 705 was ruggedized like the TX-500. Ofcourse, price will also play a big factor but for now, i'll wait & watch! :)

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The KX3 is in the same size class as this Icom, has a 5W power advantage, and has an (optional) internal antenna tuner that will match anything up to 10:1. The KX2 is about half the volume and weight, and has a similar internal tuner available, again with a 10:1 matching range.

It is most definitely possible to make a useful antenna tuner in a portable radio. And those tuners can come in handy when using improvised portable antennas.

KE5MC and K4EI like this.