ad: Alphaant-1

The HS-1B - tis the season to be surprised.

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KL7KN, Dec 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw this on the e-bay

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The HS-1B - a 4 band HF, CW transceiver

HS-1B small CW QRP transceiver 7MHz 10MHz 14MHz 21MHz.

List price in $174.00 + $10 shipping from China. (I have noted earlier on the board that the MFJ-9200 is a clone of the HS-1A, now we see this...)

The seller is listed as Goodlove888
    Based in China, goodlove888 has been an eBay member since Jan 29, 2016. Ad is found at
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HS-1B-small-CW-QRP-transceiver-7MHz-10MHz-14MHz-21MHz-/263400262936

I don't know if this a repeat of the Pirating of the HB-1B by the Chinese seller RadioPhantom a few years back. Ironic, eh?

"To further complicate things, the HB-1B MK II was sold on line (from China via E-bay.com and Ebay.ca) by a vendor going by RadioPhantom..

""Please be cautious that a ebay seller who is not a authorized vendor of YouKits is again selling and advertising the HB1B MKII as a YouKits radio. These are counterfeit units. ... All these counterfeit units showing "Youkits 2013" when power up because they copied our older version. "

The above was the warming issued by You Kits - I'd really like to hear if you have one of these - low power out seems to be the real tell, in addition to the 2013 display date.

and this from the Yahoo boards-
    Please note that radiophantom is again selling the fake HB1B’s but has moved his stuff and description to ebay.ca from ebay.com to get around the hurdle.
    Yimin who is : yanjiewang7678 is the real YouKits dealer on ebay selling the HB1B MKII.
    Please do not deal with radiophantom.

This may also explain why any technical data is so hard to come by.....

A video is found at (Note voice is Russian? Not English in any casea0

The ad comes with this note set:
    HS-1B small CW QRP transceiver 7MHz 10MHz 14MHz 21MHz

The product is four band machines (7MHz, 10MHz, 14MHz, 21MHz).

The product does not contain batteries.

The letter can only be CW, no SSB

HS-1B small CW QRP transceiver is small in size, light in weight and can be built in batteries, especially for travel and field activities.
    Covering 40 meters, 30 meters, 20 meters, and 15 meters, four amateur bands.
    In the interior, the battery space is reserved and the built-in battery socket is built, which can be placed in three sections and 18650 lithium batteries.
    A special battery charging socket CHG is set up.
    LCD display can display: working frequency, working mode, power supply voltage, receiving micro modulation (RIT) transmission micro modulation (XIT), standing wave and so on.
    20 memory memory frequency points, which can easily change the working frequency. Frequency step: 100Hz, 1KHz, 100KHz.
    Light-emitting diodes are installed on the panel to monitor the launching status of the machine.
    The small horn is built in the box, and the horn can be directly driven.

2. KL7KN

Looking at the video - it is clear the display/software is that of the HS-1A/MFJ-9200 - in fact, the early MFJ-9200 radio splash screens showed HS-1A on start.

There is no indication of needing band modules - something the HS-1A and MFJ-9200 both needed - and while the seller says the unit will display SWR - I see no place on the truncated 2 line display that would display.

The seller claims space/set up for an internal battery. It does show a charge port - on the left side, clearly different from the HB-1B - and the 9200 doesn't have an internal battery - but does have the connector to do via operator mod.

So, if this is a pirated rig, the seller is pretty sloppy in the ad.

Anyway - that I would post this. If anyone is to purchase one of these, I would love some photos of the interior....

I will continue to chase this - what a fun surprise for the season!

3. KL7KN

4. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

More information on this....

That seller is in Portugal, pt is an internet country code.

Lets get an English translation. Look toward the top far top right, you'll see "Go to Global Site (English)" click that and type in 'HS-1B"

That brings you to
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171225051747&SearchText=HS-1B

There is a picture of the radio and some basic information

"
    NEW 1PC DIY KIT Four-band HS-1B black mouse CW ham toys(China)
    ZWAAJKQK NEW 1PC DIY KIT Four-band HS-1B black mouse CW ham toys
    US $159.79 / piece
    Free Shipping
    (1)
    | Orders (2)"

Now click that picture and it brings up the full listing and description in English

"
    NEW 1PC DIY KIT Four-band HS-1B black mouse CW ham toys

This is a four-band machine (7MHz, 10MHz, 14MHz, 21MHz), the package machine motherboard has been installed and debugged, as long as their welding around the magnetic ring to install the filter board and standing wave detection board can be.
    For more information, please see here: http: //www.hellocq.net/forum/read.php? Tid = 354278
    Black Mouse Toys Description:
    ● HS-1B small CW QRP transceiver small size, light weight, can be built-in battery, especially for travel, field activities.
    ● cover 40 meters, 30 meters, 20 meters, 15 meters four amateur band.
    ● Built-in battery space and built-in battery socket, you can place three 18650 lithium battery.
    ● A dedicated battery charging socket CHG is set up.
    ● LCD display can display: operating frequency, operating mode, power supply voltage, receive fine-tuning (RIT) emission fine-tuning (XIT), standing wave and other information.
    ● 20 memory frequency memory, can easily change the operating frequency. Frequency step: 100Hz, 1KHz, 100KHz.
    ● The panel is equipped with a light-emitting diode to monitor the launch of the machine.
    ● Built-in small speakers in the chassis, you can also directly drive the external speakers.
    Packaging Details

Unit Type: piece
    Package Weight: 0.8kg (1.76lb.)
    Package Size: 10cm x 10cm x 10cm (3.94in x 3.94in x 3.94in)"

If you go just past that description, you'll see that he only made two sales in the last six months to someone in PL = Poland.

Getting back to that description in English, you'll notice they gave a link to a hellocq dot net . Clicking that brings up Google search page. Pick the first link and also select translate to English and it brings you to a forum with a 15 page thread with more information from April 28 to December 18 ...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.hellocq.net/forum/read.php?tid=354278&prev=search

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  5. KL7KN

Thank you. It also shows more detailed photos of the unit.

It still appears to be a Chinese made 'kit' - one not currently marketed in the West. The 15 page blog you refer to - HELLOCQ - also talks of the HS-1A. The completed radio is still listed on ebay - but this looks to be another 'garage' seller with just 3 rigs listed as available.

I am struck by two things in the "Hellocq" photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The labeling for this, the HS-1B2, is in English. The second is that this is a rig that is machine assembled.

It has several things the HS-1A / MFJ -9200 doesn't have:
    An SWR sensor (the small board near the RF port
    A 4 band filter 'module' that plugs in,
    a variable IF filter that does not kill off the audio and
    seems to have an RF gain vs the horrible on/off ATT of the 9200.

The Hello-cq chat seems to indicate the rig can be had with just one band or up to four.

I would be speculating to call this a "Product-improved' version of the HS-1A/MFJ-9200 - and with the improvements noted, these changes will have answered the majority of 'shortfalls' of the -9200 expressed to me by current owners of the rig.

I see:
    the new RF gain control as a big plus;
    the variable filter as a nice to have (if it will narrow to 200HZ or so without ringing);
    the SWR sensor as nice to have;
    the speaker is a bit of an odd duck, as most operators I know use cans/earbuds for CW work. If listening to SW broadcasts, then it could be a plus, tho the size would indicate less than hi-fi sound.

The 4 band filter is a two edged sword, as it introduces relays into a radio that had none to date. Each operator may decide on that one, I am enthusiastic about the -9200 owing to no relays as they are, IMO. a failure point. Still, over all - even with the growth of the in size and weight, it still looks like a great portable setup.

To jump into wild speculation, since the HS-1A became the MFJ-9200, will this rig become the replacement for the -9200? I might be alone on this, but I certainly hope so.
    It has internal battery /w charger port, is multi-band so no need to open the back to swap out band modules and so on.

It would also appear to be a direct competitor to the HB-1B sold by You Kits, so I doubt it would be carried by them, esp as the price point looks to be lower.

The HB-1B and the HS-1A/MFJ-9200 share a lot of common DNA - owing to being designed by the same person BD4RG, BU XIANZHI.

In fact, the earliest models of the 9200 would display "HS1A" on power up.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what the New Year brings. Still, kind of fun to see all the new rigs not offered in N/A.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    W4KYR likes this.