The Howard E. Anthony grave commemoration and R. L. Drake grave visit thread

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Mar 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Indeed worth a try - I'm typing this from my hotel in Toledo, flying home tomorrow, then off to a trade show in Vegas on Monday for the entire rest of the week - crazy busy. But I really wanted to work this Howard Anthony project in when it made sense with the distant relative etc.

I'd love to take this discussion to email - I have TONS of photos, and historical links - and not good QST experiences.

Howard E. Anthony truly is "Mr. Heathkit" as his new granite plaque states ...

Please email me and let's work on this together - joint credit.

Thanks Jim.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, W9KKB and AF6LJ like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Will do.

Remember there's no hard deadline for this. It's timeless.

73 de Jim, N2EY

W7UUU likes this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Their (but mostly, their reader's) loss. Fortunately, they're not the only outlet for ham writin'. Kudos for your work. :)

W7UUU and AF6LJ like this.
  4. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, I wish there was an award that could be given to you for for efforts to honor this man and the history this man has created. Without Mr. 'Heathkit' Anthony, there would not be a lot of hams who know anything about electronics or the joy of building their own equipment.

How about this; for every person who agrees with me on the award for Dave post a Big Thank You and a happy face, thumbs up or other positive emoji.

N0TZU, N2EY, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  5. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing this Dave. Please submit an article for QST.

I would like to go see the Hammurlund factory location one day. Its about 9 hours from me....

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. W9KKB

W9KKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave - this is just overwhelming.

The plaque you put on the marker is a particularly wonderful touch. I personally like it as is directly from the 1955 Heath catalog tribute done by the people that worked for him at that time of his passing away. It's very nicely done and I have attached it here so everyone can read it again.

Your effort here reminds me a bit of the work I have done with my uncle who was a WWII Bulge vet who was killed in action defending Bastogne on Dec 21st 1944. I try and maintain his memory through my photojournal website (http://octavian.net/kelly) as well as my visiting and maintaining his marker in WI every year or two. I am really the only one left that keeps his memory alive. Amazing how quickly we all forget people that are gone - and doubly so given how important Mr. Anthony is to many of us in our formative years.

I'd would be happy to help you commit this stuff to a website a la what I did for my Uncle. Although magazine articles are nice...only us old farts read those paper magazines...where as a website can be more of a living document to which changes, additions and corrections can be committed.

Bob / W9KKB

Attached Files:

7. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a gentleman in Grand Rapids, Ohio - about 10 miles from Toledo - that was an engineer at Heathkit. I have met him several times and he gave a program at our ham radio club last year. Many interesting stories.

Bob

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just some more photos of Bob Fernau.... what a sweetheart of a man, and his wife Cindy. I'm so glad this all goes into a forum and will (hopefully) last a very long time for folks searching.

He was so happy to autograph my HW-7 (that I built myself) and my HW-8 (lid only, for flying reasons, and I didn't build that one) along with both owner's manuals. I had chills when he spent 10 minutes going through my own HW-7 manual, that I "checked off step by step" in January 1975 - commenting on all the drawings and steps - he WROTE ALL OF THAT - and the graphics folks had to meet his needs. He really went to another place for about 5 minutes looking at my stained, ancient assembly manual.

I had the cover for my HW-9 with me in the car, but his involvement in the HW-9 was only in the initial concept. He retired before it became a product, so I didn't feel it appropriate to add the "brown cover" to the mix (I LOVE my HW-9).

Of all the surviving "Hams at Heath" Bob Fernau W8NDG is very probably the most approachable, and the most involved in the 70s gear so many of us love.

I won't soon forget my visit with Bob and Cindy - and the PASSION those two have for each other and for Bob's work.

I'm really honored I got to have that experience.

[Probably a few dupes here! Sorry! but it's late and I'm tired :p]

Dave
    W7UUU

01-2017-03-30 11.32.17.jpg 02-2017-03-30 11.32.20.jpg 03-2017-03-30 11.32.53.jpg 04-2017-03-30 11.33.42.jpg 05-2017-03-30 11.33.45.jpg 06-2017-03-30 11.35.32.jpg 07-2017-03-30 11.35.35.jpg 08-2017-03-30 11.49.25.jpg 09-2017-03-30 11.49.26.jpg 10-2017-03-30 11.50.06.jpg

K4YND, W9KKB, N7ANN and 2 others like this.
  9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

TNX for the great history lesson there Mr. Dave! Excellent project you conceived and executed to perfection. Including taking your daughter with you to share in your Heathkit passion project. Something else money can't by, priceless! Excellent write up, pictures and I am sure you brought a smile to many of the old "curmudgeons" here in this Forum. Hopefully QST will pick up your Heathkit project for publication, so even more AR enthusiasts can benefit from your labor of Love, in this Heathkit endeavor. :)

W5BIB likes this.