The Howard E. Anthony grave commemoration and R. L. Drake grave visit thread

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Mar 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LONG day. Left for the airport in Seattle at 4:30 AM. The driver got me to the airport fine, and boarded fine - then sat at the gate for over an hour after the door was closed. "Too much rain" is what the pilot said... WTF? SEATTLE? TOO MUCH RAIN? He even sounded confused - the delay came from the tower.

I brought the Howard E. Anthony laser-engraved photo plaque for his grave, had shipped ahead to my kids tools to trim weeds and clean the grave (LONG neglected, due to no close relatives, and the lack of Howard being in the database of Riverside Cemetery - that's now been fixed).

The Dowagiac, MI / Benton Harbor press will be there, along with Jonathan Anthony, extremely remote relative of Howard E. Anthony, and also Jonathan's cousin Mark. The cemetery has given full permission for this tribute service. It's expected to be pouring down rain all day.

After the graveside commemoration service and placing of the plaque, we head off to 305 Territorial Road, where Howard Anthony first consolidated operations into a single factory, and called it Heathkit. The building is gone, but I want to see the site.

Then we go to 1150 Miami Road, to see the Frank Lloyd Wright "Anthony House" that Howard commissioned in 1949. It was the house he left on July 23, 1954 to head to Ross Field to "test drive" his new deHaviland Dove 10-seat company plane - only to die in a crash during a terrible storm over Tennessee just over an hour after takeoff. His corporate pilot and 3 close friends all died as well.

After that, we move on to 230 Hilltop Road in St. Joseph - the "final" Heathkit factory as we knew it. Almost every Heathkit I've ever known and owned came out of that building, and I want to see it!

Lastly, we move South to Stevensville, MI to meet Bob Furnau - W8NDG, one of the "hams at Heath" - and the guy who designed the HW-7, HW-8 and HW-9. I am taking my own HW-7 that I built myself in the winter of 1975 before I got my Novice ticket.

My daughter Jennifer will be along with to take a few pictures and such.

This is a very personal (to me) project, to honor someone I greatly admire who died too young (42), and see the sites that he touched and brought us all that we know is Heathkit. Successor David Nurse (of the SB era) took the reigns and brought us even more amazing things.

But had it not been for Howard E. Anthony, it's very likely I'd never be doing a K1T Commemoration Station this July.

Friday, I will visit the R. L. Drake former factory site and Robert Lloyd Drake's grave, since I'm in the area - and next January run my W8D 75th anniversary of the founding of the Robert L. Drake radio company.

Stay tuned - photos and details to follow.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    WB4TAA, KA2CZU, N7ANN and 6 others like this.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Dave. You are doing a good thing.

AF6LJ and W7UUU like this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

If you can go into the Hilltop Road building, look to the immediate left as you go in the front door. That is where the display room was located where you could look at each unit and then order the kits "to go". Maybe there are a few ghosts of the kits still around! :rolleyes:

Depending on what route you take to Benton Harbor, if you have 2-meter FM available, you can probably "hit" the LaPorte, Indiana, repeater: 146.610 MHz out / 146.010 MHz in, CTCSS 131.8 Hz.

Glen, K9STH

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting bits of history--Enjoy your Heathkit and Drake road trip and tell us all about it.

Norm

W7UUU and AF6LJ like this.
  5. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, we need pictures!!

W7UUU, AF6LJ and N2EY like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome, Dave!

Think how many lives those two guys changed. Not just hams, either. (Many a repair business, electronics school, etc., used Heathkit test gear).

73 es TNX de Jim, N2EY

W7UUU and KC8YLT like this.
  7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is so Cool Dave, I am looking forward to seeing pictures.
    Heathkit was a factor in the direction my life would take, a fairly large factor.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too! I was about 11 when I built an AA-18. It actually worked fine. Several kits followed, including a TV set built with my pop. Loads of fun!

9. W9KKB

W9KKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave! Right there with ya in spirit....what an absolutely terrific thing you are doing!
    Bob

10. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent my teenage years working at the local hardware store in Corona del Mar, California, after high school to earn enough money to buy Heathkits. I had an RF signal generator, AF signal generator, capacitor tester, oscilloscope, and an SB 310 (my dad bought this for me--$1.60 an hour doesn't go very far). This was in the late 1960's. I learned all my electrical skills in this process and have benefited from this experience for 50 years.

Norm

W7UUU, W9KKB and AF6LJ like this.