The Holy Grail of "junk shop finds" - an unbuilt Heathkit PROTOTYPE!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Apr 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes - you read the title correctly! While visiting my kids in Michigan last week, I spotted an old Heathkit carton on a shelf marked "old radio parts $20". One glance inside and I bought it without saying a word. It was OBVIOUSLY at least part of an unbuilt Heathkit - and I had never seen a Heathkit that looked like this one - called "Heath Station Console HC-10"

I paid my $20 and then had my kid snap a couple photos, putting off my fun of seeing what's really inside for the car....

Full details to follow - but wanted to get the photos here. Oh, and yes - it's actually an unbuilt Heathkit - and it's a PROTOTPYE (that story to follow)

oh.... and for the purists - you better be sitting down because....

I BUILT IT!!! It's on the air as I type this in my shack! Built it Saturday afternoon - NO WAY I was not going to USE this thing!!!!

More to follow - for now, some pics to salivate over!!

Dave
    W7UUU

06-HC-10 as found in store 2.jpg 05-HC-10 as found in store 1.jpg 15-HC-10 kit on bench 8.jpg 07-HC-10 kit on bench 1.jpg 20-HC-10 kit on bench 4 - Copy.jpg 12-HC-10 kit on bench 5.jpg 14-HC-10 kit on bench 7.jpg 13-HC-10 kit on bench 6.jpg

06-HC-10 as found in store 2.jpg

05-HC-10 as found in store 1.jpg

15-HC-10 kit on bench 8.jpg

07-HC-10 kit on bench 1.jpg

20-HC-10 kit on bench 4 - Copy.jpg

12-HC-10 kit on bench 5.jpg

14-HC-10 kit on bench 7.jpg

13-HC-10 kit on bench 6.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    KA2CZU, KA4DPO, K3XR and 7 others like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations!

What a find. I proud of you for not eBay'ing it. ;)

Enjoy the find. As one of the QRZ good guys, you deserve it (cuz I said so).

:)

K3XR likes this.
  3. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't find any information on the HC-10 and Google searches bring me right to this thread. I wonder how it got to that store.

4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a story unto itself.

I implore Dave to now find out and tell us all!

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have much more to post - got dinner stuff going on and such.... all shall be revealed. Just know it's on the air and works WONDERFULLY with my HW-16 station....

Watch for more including construction photos and final "in shack" photos....

Dave
    W7UUU

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Well he found it in Michigan and it may not have been too far from Benton Harbor, MI where HeathKit was located. Since the Heath SB line was originally designed/released to give the Collins S line some competition I suspect the prototype station console was designed to mimic the same piece of equipment Collins had. In any event, a nice and rare find

7. N9ETB

N9ETB Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you thinking this is the only prototype? It very well could be. I also performed a Google Search and yielded NOTHING regarding that model you have.

To the right collector, that thing could be worth a small fortune. I almost bet there is someone out there who collects Heath and has a surplus of $$$ to plop down on your find.

Either way. Amazing find. :)

8. W7UUU

The "Prototype letter" (can see much of it in the photos above) addresses that - supply HW knobs AND the SB knobs - try t bring both camps into the fold with the HC-10 - it makes perfect sense!!! I built mine with the HW knobs (photos to follow) but stored the SB knobs away with all the documentation so that someday this unit might move on to an SB fan who would want those knobs, that came with the original HC-10 no less.

Now - XYL calling "off to dinner"

More in a couple hours - full set of photos including it up and running in my shack. Much still to be revealed - be sure of that :)

Dave
    W7UUU

9. W7UUU

I am, and it is.

Desperate effort to "save the HW-16" - I'll post the whole text of the letter later this evening - but I really have to do the dinner thing - I've been on the road for days, and need to keep peace at home.

MANY more pictures to follow this evening....

Dave
    W7UUU

10. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Interesting thing, on the pic with the panel upright, mentions the Autek QF-1A (which isn't that old) on the front panel...bottom right side...