The History of NCVEC Question Pool Releases?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AB3TQ, Jul 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

This site by Joe Speroni seems to be an often linked to authority on the history of Amateur Radio License Counts over time. But he also catalogs when many important events took place in Amateur Radio history. These events seem to help explain some of the increases and decreases in the total numbers of licenses at those times. http://ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

I notice that there seem to be some gaps (based on the current release schedule) for the releases of some Question Pools. Were some missed by Joe, or does his information correctly reflect the total release history of NCVEC Question Pools?

2018 - The AH0A site is not yet updated to reflect the recent Tech Question Pool Release

2016 Extra Released
    2015 General Released
    2014 Tech Released

2012 Extra Released
    2008 Extra Released
    2006 Tech Released

2004 General Released
    2003 Tech Released
    2002 Extra Released

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a tech question pool released on 1/4/2010. There was a general pool from 2011 to 2015.

3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The question pools are updated every four years. That will yield a one-year gap since there are only three question pools.

I am not sure where or how the four-year cycle came about. I did a quick search of Part 97 and didn't find anything. That's not to say it's not in there, I just didn't find anything with a cursory search. Obviously the FCC is OK with it, because it's been done that way for years. There maybe something in the NCVEC rules and regs that will point to the source. I will check that out when I get a chance.

Regards,
    -Bruce

4. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I am very well acquainted with the current Question Pool release schedule, but that does not mean it has always been that way (I am looking back more than 20 years). I had Google searched for the aggregate Question Pool History and got nothing. The response by K7JEM was quite helpful. I got me to search specifically for the Pools he had pointed out, which led me to an ARRL reference for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 releases. The date he indicated for the 2010 Tech Pool must have been a Release Date. The ARRL clearly identified July 1st as the effective dates for the 2010 and 2011 Pools.

Following that success I searched specifically for a 2007 Release. I found an ARRL 2007 General Pool Manual on Amazon indicating an effective date of July 1st. And this was a General Pool Third Edition, so there were two previous releases, making 2004 the Second Edition. When was the first?

Wait a minute. I have a Seventh Edition 2011 to 2015 ARRL General Manual and an Eleventh Edition 2016 to 2020 ARRL Extra Manual. That confuses me because it doesn't match what I had been expecting. I need to do more research on ARRL Edition numbers.

Those three gaps filled in followed exactly the current schedule, but look at 2002, 2003 and 2004. What happened there? I did find an old reference to the software offerings of a Palm Pilot Programmer that seems to confirm that out of order sequence. I have found nothing before 2002. The License Count website goes back to mid 1997. I am still interested in what was released, and when it became effective that far back.

I will pass whatever information I can reasonably confirm to Joe, and see if he will incorporate it into his website data.

2018 - Tech Released - effective date July 1st

2016 Extra Released - effective date July 1st
    2015 General Released - effective date July 1st
    2014 Tech Released - effective date July 1st

2012 Extra Released - effective date July 1st
    2011 General Released - effective date July 1st
    2010 Tech Released - effective date July 1st

2008 Extra Released - effective date July 1st
    2007 General Released - effective date July 1st
    2006 Tech Released - effective date July 1st

2004 General Released - effective date July 1st
    2003 Tech Released - effective date July 1st