ad: elecraft

The Grand Old lady Speaks Again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB6SSN, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB6SSN

KB6SSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    After lengthy consideration, the staff of the USS Hornet Museum in Alameda, California has agreed to allow a select group of Amateur Radio Operators to rebuild and restore the original radio systems aboard this historic ship! This will be a multi-year project with some wonderful discoveries to be made! We plan on attacking the situation with a three phase plan that includes getting modern commercial gear up and running aboard her as soon as possible! At this time we are planning on holding our first special event sometime in September! Depending on logistics, this could change! I'm telling you this for several reasons. First, to spread the word that Hornet will soon be back on the air! Second, to alert you to a truly unique QSL opportunity! Third, to let you know that very soon you will be able to visit the USS Hornet and actually work the radios! Just show us a valid Ham License and as long as there is a licensed Doccent on board to assist you, you are Hornet Command! LOL! (For a small donation of course! Fourth, even though our group consists of some of the top Engineers and Scientists in their fields, we are still in need of some help! If you or anyone you know, served aboard the USS Hornet in any capacity where they were exposed to the Radio Rooms or ET Shops, we'd love to talk with them! Or a shipyard worker who installed electronics! We are also in need of clerical staff with a technical background to support the Engineering Study and Overall Plan and Oversight. A retired Yeoman would be great! Please QSL via KB6SSN if you know ANYTHING!!!! No detail is too small!. Email is fine. And fifth and finally, so much of our history is being lost these days! Our WW2 vets are dying off at a tremendous rate! Our Korean vets will be next! This grand old ship served through three wars! And recovered the first two Moon Missions! This is your chance to share in a piece of history. And for those who participate, leave a legacy for those generations yet to come! Thanks for listening! We'll see you on the air!

Tom
    KB6SSN

2. VE6DDT

VE6DDT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] I for one, will be keenly awaiting the activation of the station(s). Well Done ! Bravo Zulu ! [​IMG]

3. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I never worked on anything that old when I was working for the Navy at Mare Island but when my wife retires we will travel in our RV. Perhaps I will return to the area and be able to give some fort of assistance to you.
    I understand that the USS Texas is also rebuilding her radio room if anyone can help out there.
    Keep the relics (the ships and the vets) alive and well! It's history that we cannot afford to forget.

Ken/W7WV

4. N8ARY

N8ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

It! Sounds! Like! Fun! I am glad to hear it! !!!

5. W7LDG

W7LDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is Great! This is the type of thing we're all about. I believe if more people and organizaions knew what we are capable of; more of this kind of stuff would be happening.

6. KB6SSN

I thought you might like to see a photo or two of the USS Hornet now that all of the antennas are installed. I've never posted a photo here before so I hope this works! [​IMG]

7. KB6SSN

Hey! That did work! LOL! Here's one more.

8. KB7RKY

KB7RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Another piece of history just aching to be restored!

I had the rare privilege of working the special event station WW2END some years ago, celebrating the 50th year of the end of WWII...it would be quite a feather in anyone's cap to work the USS Hornet when all the radio systems are back up and running!

Hope to work that station VERY soon!

Doug KB7RKY

ps Nice pix!

9. N6TPT

N6TPT Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks like a great project. We'll be looking forward to hearing your signals.

Ghery, N6TPT

10. KG4ROL

KG4ROL Ham Member QRZ Page

To the Hams Operators that are helping on USS Hornet. I just want to reply and say good luck. The Hornet pulled into the Alameda NAS in 95 when I was stationed USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72). I never went unto the Hornet, but I know that piece of history will never go away. Just, a little bit of info, they were going to tear about the ship and sell or give the scraps away. Thank-you for the grup of people out there for saving the ship. Again to the Ham Operators out there, good luck!

73's,

Chris, KG4ROL

11. KB6SSN

I'd like to express my gratitude to Ken, WB6NOV. For years Ken has been the Trustee for the Call for the USS Hornet ARC! Today Ken has begun the process to transfer trusteeship to KO6HA. KO6HA is the Master at Arms for the USS Hornet ARC. Ken has been very helpful in facilitating our project and we, as a group, feel that he should deserve credit for a job well done! Once again the call NB6GC will grace the air! Listen for us September 11-14, 2002! Frequencies have yet to be determined! And Ken, from all of us here on the Hornet Team, we offer you a heart felt thank you!

Tom Hale
    KB6SSN
    President Pro-Tem
    USS Hornet ARC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.