ad: CQMM-1

The Future HOA Compliant Antenna? VLF Antenna Research

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5WRN, Sep 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5WRN

K5WRN Ham Member QRZ Page

That might be a click-bait subject line, but the article in the link below describes an antenna currently being developed by researchers at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory for the VLF band that fits on a small camp table.

Given that they claim the antenna can be scaled to other frequencies, it could be that we could see viable amateur radio antennas the size of a bird house on a pole in an HOA restricted neighborhood. And, as we are not likely to see a time where the HOA ceases to exist, this could be the future Ham's antenna.

https://www.electronicdesign.com/an...9aa5f61348b723e20f&oly_enc_id=1017B6675490H5V

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is about the 6th or 7th time someone has posted this since January.

K0UO likes this.
  3. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did anyone ask how mechanical vibration equated to non-ionizing radiation? I though I was reading the Onion for a second.

"These antennas can resonate in a very small footprint while exhibiting low losses. To achieve this, they created an ultra-low-loss, piezoelectric electric dipole driven at acoustic resonance."

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sigh.
    Sigh.
    1. It's not about the antenna.
    2. RF "is" non-ionizing, regardless of what antenna is used.
    3. The piezo material resonates at acoustic "frequencies" which happen to be the same as the desired RF frequencies (VLF at RF, VHF at acoustic).

Scaled at VLF frequencies, at minuscule power. Microwatts. Read the article carefully.

Misinterpreted articles seem to be impossible to kill. sigh.

K0UO likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

"... amateur radio antennas the size of a bird house on a pole in an HOA restricted neighborhood."

... and they still would violate the NO antenna HOA rules

AJ6KZ and KA2UVI like this.
  6. K5WRN

K5WRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Next time I'll be sure to do a search of the topic to ensure I don't submit an identical topic. My apologies.