The full automation of FT8 - how does it affects us?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WF4W, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

WSPR, a fully automated mode, has been around for several years, yet ham radio is still here! :)

W9FL, K5TCJ, WU8Y and 3 others like this.
  2. N9AMI

N9AMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What strikes a never more is the way people qrm others and the lax attitudes of operators the last few years has been disgusting. You will never figure out or stop someone of automating FT8 and I really don't care if they do. But the attitudes and zero knowledge of operating is showing its ugly head. No one gives a @#$% period. Extras that can't solder or know how to build an antenna. I hear it all the time. Or the people on DMR crying HF is dead I hear nothing because they have no idea how to work propagation. I can walk away from this anytime and sleep at night just fine because its just a hobby. Just because you can afford that 12 K radio don't make you an expert either (again appliance operator) So maybe trying to educate the plug me ins / appliance operators of today should be your mission instead of the worry about someone who actually figured out how to automate a software package and is using some know how. I gotta give credit to the person that figured that out although using a macro package isn't any harder than soldering a pl259 or neutralizing a set of tubes for you amp.. Oh sorry folks that might be over your heads...

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't do, nor need to, most of the skills in your rant. Chances are, we can learn what we want. In all fairness, there may be at least as many things I do that you can't (at the moment).
    Just happens to be my joy in the huge buffet of amateur radio is a different dish than yours.

Sure, we can all complain about poor operating procedures, but don't group that with those that don't care to use a soldering iron or neutralize tubes. Stupid and ignorant ain't the same.

I wouldn't give much credence to those that complain about "appliance operators", since it's not as easy as they say. If you've ever tried to troubleshoot computer problems, you know what a hair-puller it can be. Multiply that by the 100s of software packages, modes, etc. at our fingertips. Just programming a radio can be a daunting task. Or REALLY programming a radio, like using MATLAB with SDRs. There's a lot more to do out there than just FT8, automated or otherwise.

Hopefully, since you feel so strongly about it, you hold amateur radio classes, Elmer others, perhaps a Volunteer Examiner, etc. ... SOMETHING to contribute to the AR community.
    Otherwise, you're just playing the armchair guru and not adding to the joy and education of others. I figure very few want to be chastised.

I see you're into bikes... here's a good read.

Don't let the "lacking" of others bother ya so much OM!

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What does any of this have to do with FT8, "automated" or otherwise?

ND6M, AG5DB and K2NCC like this.
  5. K2NCC

Nothing of course. Just another curmudgeon without the ability to use

the

carriage

return.

I'm surprised it wasn't in all-caps too! :rolleyes:

WU8Y and W4NNF like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Read his QRZ page,... its a HOOT!

Most of his rant on here is just a copy of it.

but when he said "I do a little operating these days but don't take ham radio to seriously and never will. ..."

He broke the BS meter.

K2NCC likes this.
  7. K2NCC

Much like people who wear bow-ties, I can't take anyone in a cowboy hat seriously. :D
    redneckinahat.PNG

8. KURJEG

KURJEG QRZ Member

Interesting thread, thanks fro the discussion.

9. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I first got an inkling I might like to start up in this hobby, I read a few books on amateur radio that all mentioned and talked about the "time honored tradition" of exchanging QSL cards. I thought that sounded pretty neat, and spent a bit of time designing my own card, and then spent a bit of $$ to have a box of them printed up for me. Now it appears, at least to me, that hams are moving away from mailing actual cards in favor of just relying on the LoTW or it's variants as a QSO verification, or switching to sending e-cards instead of printed ones in the mail. More and more when I do a call sign lookup on QRZ, I see listed in the "QSL" heading all of the various methods that ham will use, except direct card mailings. Some are just "LoTW only", or variations on that theme. Same situation when having a QSO using PSK31: hams will slip their preferred QSL methods into their "ABOUT" macro; no mention of direct by mail QSL cards.

Is this another facet of "old time amateur radio" that's slipping away? Or is there some unspoken "rules of engagement" as to when they are to be doled out and when not? I can see where in the fast paced exchanges of FT8 exchanging cards would become quite expensive and laborious, not to mention impractical. But what about other digital modes like PSK31; and for that matter what about plain ole SSB? Is exchanging actual QSL cards going the way of the dinosaur?

Brando