The full automation of FT8 - how does it affects us?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WF4W, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 80s, my PACTOR station was automated. I would come home from work and have messages waiting in my PACTOR mailbox.

K3XR likes this.
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Go back to work after vacation and a whole pile of work is waiting. That's just wrong! :eek:

3. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is THIS next ?

[​IMG]

AE8W likes this.
  4. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

AE8W likes this.
  5. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, get fistful of pink phone message slips. Aaargh!

6. W8IXI

W8IXI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I predicted this "development" here on the zed last December. I am sad to see it has now come true. :(

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, things appear to be going in the exact opposite direction from complete automation...it appears that the next Big Thing is going to be FT8Call, which adds text messaging. ;)

8. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Automation only adds challenges to contesting. meh It might be a challenge for the 1st single operator to get to 1 million contacts on FD.

Real QSOs are mostly unaffected except for automatically looking for a rare DX ... just a question of time for voice recognition and CW is already here.

9. G8KHF

G8KHF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really dont get the problem some people have with this. If you don't like it then don't use it.
    Amateur radio has always been a multi-faceted hobby and that is part of why it is such fun for so many different people. Even fully automated FT8 is just another facet. It doesn't exist at the cost of anything else so why the beef?

KC9YGN and K4AGO like this.
  10. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think so too. I worked some FT8Call this weekend and enjoyed it. I have never gotten into FT8 because it's just not my idea of fun. However, I had more nice rag chews on FT8Call this weekend than I have on CW in a while. I never had trouble copying anyone, and they were all nice chats. I don't really see any down side to that.

W4NNF likes this.