ad: portazero-1

The full automation of FT8 - how does it affects us?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WF4W, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be that the "texting" and the "techie"crowd was going to say generation but not sure it's just a generational thing. In any case that group may be more inclined to go with the digital modes as opposed to voice or CW operation in the short term at least it won't eliminate traditional modes . Yes there is a certain newness to these modes have spent some time on JT 65, FT 8, WSPR and have recently gone back to PSK 31 and also some SSTV tend to move around when it comes to bands and modes working the satellites is a recent endeavor. No one is forced to work FT 8 or any other mode do what you enjoy and let others do the same.

K4AGO, K2NCC and N2SUB like this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

There are many ways to look at this. Those that do not use FT8, are unaffected. Those that automate, will have the entire FT8 population in their logs in a couple of months, and then what?

Those that use FT8, and won't automate, can continue to enjoy what they are doing, your achievements are in no way diminished, you know how you got there. If you know the other station is a bot, feel free to ignore it.

Has anybody returned his/her DXCC award, if they found out one of their contacts used illegal power, or a remote receiver? Let's not talk about the old list lizards.

The only short term downside, if automation becomes widespread, will be the high number of FT8 bots roaming the segments. This too shall pass.

NQ1B and N4UP like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. If this becomes popular, I predict its popularity will be short-lived. "Well, I've worked EVERYBODY!"

4. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like you are like me. I try and keep my hands in as many things as possible. I think what the op was saying is that automation would somehow cheapen awards. With an automated station, you could work WAS mixed/digital/per band in a few weeks. Same for DXCC. If you're into awards, it's kind of a buzz kill. The same argument when LOTW awards looked the same as those earned with paper cards. I guess what goes around comes around.

5. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe this has been suggested already; Perhaps we can suggest to QRZ, ARRL and other organizations that they should separate Automated QSOs into their own class of awards.

I had fun with JT65 and JT9. Haven't got into FT-8 but, if it's so easy that I don't need to do anything then I probably won't get into it. Sometimes it was difficult staying awake when working JT, you know, the watching the paint dry thing. However, you did feel like you earned the QSOs at the end of the day. I applied strategy and timing to log many of those stations in the states and on the bands that I wanted. Plus there were many stations with short exchanges or notes on the side. What's the point in just leaving the radio turned on while you go do something else? This is just creating QRM for the amateurs that actually want to work the bands.

Dave, Ki7AAR

KR4EE likes this.
  6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The future of FT8

[​IMG]

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

notice the position of the disconnect lever

8. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a wireless switch. hi!

9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The answer to the OP question, it does not affect me. I will not automate. If the mode works, I will continue to enjoy it. My accomplishments, whatever they may be and however modest they may be, are my own.

W2VW, KF7TLL and K5RCD like this.
  10. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Robo Task LIght is a freeware program that is easy to set up to fullly automate FT8. It records your mouse clicks and you just tell it to run those when the "log" window opens up and you're off and automated. I've yet to figure out how to put a "logic" task to run as well when one loses contact during the exchange. I have no plans to ever leave the shack while this runs but it's fun setting it up.

..............Bob

K4AGO likes this.