The FT-991 review

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO6WB, Oct 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not like my IC-7300 performance, so I sold it. It has a very noisy receiver. A Yaesu FTDX-3000 is a fine radio with larger display.

KD8UEI likes this.
  2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same reason why I'm looking to sell my 7300 and possibly pick up the 3000. My 7300 has been a great radio, but city noise attacks it too much on the low bands.

KD8UEI likes this.
  3. N8FVJ

I had t0 use the NR at setting of 4 on IC-7300 to equal receiver noise of TS-570SG with no NR. Plus the IC-7300 had an unnatural phase shift like noise on the static- very weird to me and unnatural. Yuk.

4. KE0EYJ

I'm seeing the prices of used 7300 dropping like a rock.... very, very fast. This is going to kill the used market.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, that's because there are a lot of them out there, and Icom has really got the new prices down.

As opposed to the 991A? I've tried them side by side and find the 7300's receiver superior. Mr. Sherwood certainly seems to agree (I don't think he's reviewed the "a," but he has tested the original model, which I assume wasn't much different receiver-wise)… ;)

6. KE0EYJ

But here's the million dollar question... did you compare the 7300's more sensitive receiver with the inclusion of the 991A's Noise Reduction?

If my (now sold) 891 could beat the 7300 in some situations, with NR on --- I have to think the 991A can, too. In fact, the whole experience is a big reason why my 7300 is up for sale, locally.

7. N8FVJ

Read a couple of posts up. IC-7300 receiver is too noisy. Side by side I did not find the IC-7300 receiver superior to a FT-991A. In fact the FT-991A was better.

KD8UEI likes this.
  8. W4NNF

I tried the NR, but don't recall getting much different results--though I'm sure that would depend to some extent on conditions.

9. W4NNF

As I said, I found the 7300 more sensitive. Otherwise? See Sherwood's test of the original 991.

10. N8FVJ

Sherwood shows a better receiver test result vs the FT-991. However using both on real band conditions the IC-7300 is not quite as good as a FT-991A due to the noisy receive. I think it all depends upon the ham shack location (ie, noisy environment).

KG5CVH likes this.