The FT-991 review

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO6WB, Oct 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand the bias adjustments were touchy. If Miss Japanese Yaesu Worker was bleary eyed on a Monday, the finals might eventually turn into crispy critters. ;)

KG5CVH likes this.
  2. KG5CVH

KG5CVH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the information, that is what I was wondering. I wonder if I bought a 991 online used if Yaesu would fix the problem if the unit still had not been fixed? Has anyone been down that road?

3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't need the radio for any reason. I am already HF transceiver poor. I don't use 2 meters or 70 centimeters; the repeaters are dead around here in North Carolina. There are no C4FM repeaters around in this area either.

A shack in a box does not appeal to me under any circumstances. I prefer separate transceivers for HF and UHF/VHF.

I like for 6 meters to be included in an HF rig. It just seems natural to me, even though 6 meters is considered VHF.

Yes, I am old school; a shack in the box just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

I won a IC 5100A two years ago; took it home and put it on a shelf in the shack. I have not even taken it out of the box. .

I really should try DStar out and I will when I get in the mood. I have a 2 meter yagi up but do not have a 70 cm antenna up. 70cm is half the capability of the ID5100a.

I just don't need the radio for any reason. I don't like the mediocre specs either.
    John
    K4AGO

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that the radio's problems have apparently been solved, and it actually has a real-time bandscope...

The plus is that it covers 2-meters and 70-cm if you want that. The minus? The display still isn't great. Considerably inferior to the IC7300. Also, while I've thought about this little radio a couple of times, I'm still skittish by the fact that Yaesu let the original out the door. And also that they took their time fiddling around and putting bandaids on it.

KG5CVH likes this.
  5. KG5CVH

KG5CVH Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point!

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds great John.

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup and the main thing is you are enjoying yourself. If you do that, passing Extra will be easy for you.

7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KE0EYJ,
    The FT-891 has MUCH better Noise Reduction, however. Not even a contest, here. Absolutely puts Icom's 7300 to shame, and turns the average QUOTE]
    I read the FT-891 and FT-991A have same NR system.

8. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt it. The warranty on the original 991 is long expired and they probably won't do a goodwill on it. However, it IS possible to send the rig in for conversion to the A model, and I think the price was around $300 for the conversion. The A conversion replaces the main board and a few other internal boards, so it's likely they'd run through a full alignment and power output check prior to sending the rig back to you.

9. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I mentioned much earlier in this old thread that I have an original Yaesu Ft-991 (not "a" model). I got it when they had a fire sale to clear inventory for the "a" model. I've had it about 3 years now. It is my first HF radio.

So what bad has happened in the last 3 years? Nothing. It has performed flawlessly. Yes, an active band scope with waterfall would be nice but the band scope that it has is not bad either. I've had no problems with the finals blowing out. My only gripe about this radio is that some of the writing on the screen is so small that I cannot read it, and I'm nearsighted so I see good up close. The other gripe I have is that some of the buttons are tiny and hard for my big fingers to push.

With this radio and a very modest low-hanging compromise antenna, I've been able to reach nearly every country in western Europe. I've had no problems cutting through pile-ups either. I am more than pleased with its performance.

Now I find myself getting an itch to try another radio. Not because the 991 doesn't fill the bill, but because, hey, I want a new toy. Then I would keep one as a back-up. I can considering both the Icom IC-7100 and IC-7300. Yes, I know, the IC-7300 is the radio that is supposed to walk on water, but to me it is just an SDR which I am loathed to buy. I am old enough that I want an electronic radio and not a software radio. That's just my opinion though.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bless you!