The "Friendly Bunch"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4MXZ, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a new net on 75m at 3863 calling themselves the "Friendly Bunch", not to be confused with the Texas based 'Friendly Bunch' of the Irving Amateur Radio Club.
    Basically it appears to be a check-in and check-out type net.

The problem here is that it operates 2 kHz from another group at 3865 that has been there for over 40 years.
    And, while no one owns any frequency, the group at 3865 is always there first.
    Additionally, it has rendered the Drake Net at 3865 almost useless; which the rag chew group at 3865 always yields for.

Representatives of this "Friendly Bunch" have asked the 3865 group to move up a kHz, and accused them of being 'part 97 operators' when they wouldn't (couldn't, as there are groups at 3860, 3868 and 3870), merely because they (3865) were there first.
    Representatives of the "Friendly Bunch" have also stated that since they have more check-ins that they take precedence, and after all they are going to "Make Ham Radio Great Again"(their motto, seriously).
    They have stated that their "higher calling" gives them the "right" such that the group on 3865 should yield "for the good of Amateur Radio"

As a third party with no dog in this fight, I am appalled at the arrogance, and entitlement of this "Friendly Bunch" and I feel bad for the old guys on 3865, and the Drake Net, that heretofore never bothered anyone.
    They don't deserve this. :(

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

75 phone is such a fun place!!:rolleyes:

KD8ZMN, KC9VFO, N4DJT and 3 others like this.
  3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Make 75m Again!"

I listened to them while traveling over Xmas. Heard nothing remarkable, nor unusually "friendly". Just another net with lots of check-ins. I was puzzled how they managed to shoe horn themselves into a busy spot on the band.... Sharp elbows and a boarding house reach. What a shame about bad manners. Condolences to the Drake net.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    WZ7U likes this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

So, let me see if I have this straight.

A new group that calls itself the “Friendly Net” has set up shop essentially right on top of the same frequency that the Drake Net has used for years... will not move to avoid QRM with the older net,,, has now (and for some time already) started operating prior to the Drake Net so claim precedence on the frequency... has resorted to name calling... and claims as it’s justification that it has more check-ins than the other net.

Am I missing something here?

Presuming that all of these allegations are essentially true... not that I disbelieve you, but I have no personal knowledge of any of this... doesn’t sound like a very friendly group, does it?

Well, if someone from the Drake group asked for my advice, I’d suggest that they be the “bigger men” and shifts little bit away to avoid the other group. And yes, I know 75 can be crowded.

It is unfortunate that one group feels the need to push around an established group, and seem to be looking for a fight. Just what we need on 75, another turf war.

I’ll stick to CW, thank you.

KB9OFM likes this.
  5. N4MXZ

Almost.
    The usual 3865 group is actually there before anyone on that part of the band, usually right after (but sometimes before, which they also stand down for) the District 8 phone net in the afternoon, and have been for decades.
    That group has always politely "stood by" for the Drake Net.
    So, the "Friendly Bunch" is not there before the 3865 frequency is in use under any circumstance.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my, here we go again, "these people are encroaching on our frequency..." Sigh. :oops:

KE0JJG and KC9VFO like this.
  7. N4MXZ

Well, if you are operating on a given frequency , and another group (knowingly) starts up on a frequency within your normal (accepted) bandpass, then yes.;)

8. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Umm . . . isn't that a GOOD thing? Or is it a new jewel of sarcasm I haven't heard before?

9. KM4JPL

KM4JPL Ham Member QRZ Page

While I understand there has been some hard feelings, the friendly bunch has tried to work things out with groups below and above our band .We are all getting qrm from from unknown ham stations. We want to work out these problems so we can all get along. We are working on a solution I believe will solve the problem. I am a fairly new ham and must say from what I've seen most ham group clicks are very unfriendly and don't like new comers, and that's ashame! I've been with the friendly bunch almost from the start and I find it very friendly and welcoming to other hams no matter what equipment they run or how they sound. The bottom line is we are working on a solution that will benefit us all and are in the process of making some changes that will allow the friendly bunch not just a check in and out station but a open forum to allow other hams a vast nightly resource to get answers to problems they might be having with there equipment or just be able to reconnect with other hams across our great country. There is no one person in charge or making rules. I hope all u guys give it a chance and bring your knowledge to the group, we welcome all. With a new group like the friendly bunch there will be teething problems that will need to be worked out and we will get it worked out for us all, because we don't won't to suppress any other ham group or net.We are all on the air for the enjoyment and education . 73s to all. Jim davis KM4JPL.

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Just where did this (incorrect) idea that group A could pass along the frequency usage to group B?... and then to group C?...and then...

When group A is signs clear, then the freq is OPEN to the next user.

That being said, IMO, The friendly Bunch doesn't seem to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.