The Foundation License

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5LRZ, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Or if you were an Irishman with the callsign EI5HSE, you would be FULL of dit!

And if he got an Irish vanity call, and shortened his call to EI5HS, he'd have to TAKE a dit.

Oh well. Dit Happens.

Out.

2. G8XQS

G8XQS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi. You asked for opinions on the UK Foundation Licence. Here's one I wholeheartedly agree with:-

From "Radio Communication", the RSGB journal, August 2002:-
    "...I wanted to comment on these M3s I've been hearing on 15m.  Never in my life have I come across a more enthusiastic group of hams than these M3s that I've been speaking to lately on 15m.  As a group they are a joy to listen to.  They are having more fun being on the air than any group of hams I have heard in years.  I'll give you an example of just one of many that I have heard and spoken to.  M3SDX called me the other Sunday.  During the course of the conversation he said he was operating from a farmer's pasture.  He said he drove his vehicle into the pasture every weekend and put up a mast with a triband Yagi on top.  Now think about the efforts that ham has to make just to get on the air.  If we old goats could catch that same enthusiasm and can-do attitude the bands would be so much more fun.  Y'all folks in the UK are obviously having much more success with these newcomers than we are on this side of the Atlantic.  Whatever you're doing, it's working.

Jack Emerson, W4TJE"

So - M3s can be worked from the States!  And don't panic - NO-ONE'S life will depend on their CW! Sure - for decades that was an important issue but no more.  If a ship gets in trouble now they hit their distress beacon and satellites and GPS etc. do the necessary.

Incidentally M0TTT is a full UK Class A licence (ie. the holder has passed the full UK Radio Amateurs Exam and a 12 wpm CW test).  All UK Foundation Licence calls begin with M3.  Just to confuse you even more some M3 licencees have actually been the holders of full UK VHF/UHF licences for upto 38 years - they are not all newcomers to ham radio by any means.  In fact the majority are long-licenced VHF/UHF hams who have taken out an M3 call so they can operate QRP on HF.

Hope that clarifies a few ideas folks.

73s
    Martin G8XQS

3. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes I even THINK in Morse Code.... Guess that makes me a Dit For Brains.

Okay, I'm out.

4. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet they are a happy lot! Think how many happy. enthuzed Bozos we would have trashing the bands here if they could get on fifteen meters with no evident code requirement!

The precident sucks!

5. N3BIF

N3BIF Guest

So does lack of proofreading , .....PRECEDENT !

6. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I bet they are a happy lot!  Think how many happy. enthuzed Bozos we would have trashing the bands here if they could get on fifteen meters with no evident code requirement![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

They probably are happy...  but I have to say, as for the lack of code requirement thing, a quick listen to those trashing portions of 75M at night or a few select 20M frequencies during the day or evening will show you that passing a code test doesn't always mean you've got your head extracted from your amplifier.  

The more I think about this the more convinced I am that there will eventually be no Morse code requirement for any amateur license, anywhere.  It's not going to be real soon, but it IS coming.  Like spark, technology (like it or not) has made Morse a less essential part of radio than it once was.  Like it or not, yo may as well get used to the idea.  I think it's time we stopped preemptively making the &quot;lid/no lid&quot; decision based on how a person operates and what he or she contributes, rather than some other arbitrary criteria.

Put another way -- would you say all UK operators are more inclined to be lids?  All US ops?  All of a particular race or color?  Religion?  Location?  I just passed my Extra exam two days ago.  No one asked me to pass a 20WPM code test; in fact, I couldn't take one if I wanted to.  Now, you don't know if I can copy code at 5WPM, 15, 20, or 40 - do you think I'm qualified to be an Extra or not?  You can't tell until we meet on the air.  That's my whole point.

I like CW.  I operate CW almost all the time at the moment.  But I'm not going to use that as my yardstick to determine what I think of another person.  

Dale
    (M3 calls welcome here.)

7. K4LCA

K4LCA Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like Raymond doesn't play well with others. One must have a personal invitation to play in his sandbox.

Larry K1LCA

8. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w3sy @ Aug. 01 2002,10:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sometimes I even THINK in Morse Code.... Guess that makes me a Dit For Brains.

Okay, I'm out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    God, I hope someone thinking that slow will never have my life in his hands. SLAM! car accident.....HEAD ON.

Jim

9. KE7VE

KE7VE Banned QRZ Page

I would support a no code test license for HF here in the U.S. with the following privileges only.

1.) 100 watts output max.

2.) 160-10 meters, no VHF,UHF

3.) cw only

73 Marty K7RKR

10. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the FCC already beat you to it, though with different privileges.  And what would be the point of a no-code license that granted only CW operating privileges?  

I don't think the FCC is all that concerned with preserving the history of Amateur Radio; that's not their job.  If *we* want to preserve it by using CW, great.  But I think the main reason we have a Morse code requirement for HF privileges is that it's required by treaty.  Once that goes away I think it's only a matter of time.  Personally, I'd support a no-code HF license if it were coupled with a little better written exam and better enforcement, but sadly I suspect neither of those are on the horizon.  Morse does seem to make a fairly good filter against total morons, but it also keeps out a lot of people that could bring a lot of good to the hobby (or service, or whatever you want to call it).

Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.