The Foundation License

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5LRZ, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5LRZ

N5LRZ Banned QRZ Page

As most of us know the Brits have a new license, The Foundation License. The requirements are that you have to take an official training course and pass a 20 question multiple guess test. Just 20 questions???

But that is not the strange part. You have to take a code assessment test. And here is where strange begins. "There is no morse speed requirement, and the applicants are provided with a copy of the morse alphabet 'coding' and 'decoding' information sheets. To complete the assessment, applicants must receive a text of up to 30 characters in QSO format, and they may write down the morse elements and decode them using the information sheets"

So here is the test, Hi, Here is a page with the morse code and here is a page with the format of the message we will send you. Write down the dots and dashes and decode them when the tape ends using the information pages we gave you.

Opinions anyone?[​IMG]

Signed
    I hope my life does not depend
    on these guys ability to copy code.

R Arceneaux
    N5LRZ

2. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

why would it?

3. N3BIF

N3BIF Guest

so they use their "Foundation Decoder Ring "

4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been reading the uk.radio.amateur newsgroup for some time. The "foundation" ticket is causing the generation of much hate and discontent.

Should we worry about it over here? I don't know. Seems to me that we have enough to wory about without taking on the trials and tribulations of the world.

How many other countries have a similiar license?

I think that the Japanese have had a similiar type of ticket for some time? We never hear anything about that, probably because we can't read Japanese.

Gary WG7X

5. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the priveleges given a holder of a Foundation license? If it is just like our no code tech., no problem. If it ain't and they still only max out at four hundred watts, who cares? We ain't gonna hear 'em anyhoo.

6. M1MPW

M1MPW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi People,

I passed my Foundation Licence around 2 months ago.
    The Foundation Licence was brought about because of
    the rising decline in interest in Amateur Radio.
    The idea being that Amateur Radio is for "self learning".
    And that hopefully Foundation Licencees will go on to
    take harder exams in the future to further their learning.

The Course is actually very good.
    It basically weeds out those people that have a proper
    interest and are not totally daft!

The code acessment is quite good. I enjoyed finding
    out the morse is not as hard as one thinks.

I am now studying at home already to take the
    Full Class A Licence exam in December this year,
    or May next year.

As for what the Foundation Licence allows:

10 Watt ERP max.
    All bands from 3.5 to 433Mhz excluding 28Mhz. (10m)
    All modes of Transmission ( includes SSTV and CW )
    Tranceivers must not be home built, but Antennas and
    test equipment may be.

I believe that the hatred from some of the so called
    "higher licenced" Amateurs comes from the idea that this
    Licence allows "CB'ers" and "Axe welding Maniacs" on
    "their" precious bands.

Anyway, I will be learning the "code" and will probably find that once I have done I won't use anything else!

So... Any questions?

Mark

M3MPW

7. N5LRZ

N5LRZ Banned QRZ Page

Re N7CPC,

You just might hear them. I quote from the article, "...provides holders with access to mos bands from 136 KHz through 440 MHz--with the notable exception of 10 meters."

So you just might hear them. Their call sign will run from M3AAA - M3ZZZ.

They are authorized for only 10 watts but it is enough to be heard nicely under the proper conditions.

RArceneaux
    N5LRZ

8. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of the VE sessions I've participated in where people taking the code test would show up with their little dot-dash-dot Cheat Sheets at the ready. Bunky, if you still have to look up what "dash dash dot dash" stands for, you're not ready for a code test.

Mark, I liked when you said, "The Course is actually very good.
    It basically weeds out those people that have a proper
    interest and are not totally daft!"

I wish WE, in the good ol' USA, had some kind of course or test that weeded out the "totally daft." Of course, 2 meters would be a LOT more quiet then....

[​IMG]

9. W1XBS

W1XBS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke5wj @ July 30 2002,15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't bet on it. I've worked quite a few of them on CW,  including M0TTT. (Now there's a guy who just doesn't give a dit.)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    GAWD!  I dont do CW, but if I did, and heard that call, I'd probably think something shorted in my brain and I was halucinating baddddd!

10. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't give a dit! Dah's funny!

73 [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.