The first thing I noticed about the Yaesu FTdx101D

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE9HS, Nov 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE9HS

KE9HS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received a new FTdx101D to replace my old Drake TR5 which was showing it's age :). Yes, there is a learning curve on this rig. But after several weeks of reading the manual and playing with the control, everything starts to fall into place and you really start to enjoy it. I had several question sent to Yaesu customer support by email and was surprised how quickly they answered the questions.

One thing I noticed right off about the FTdx101D was captured in the most recent article in QST about Big Brother FTdx101MP, "your station should be well lighted to see the controls" light 1.jpg light 2.jpg . In an average lighted room, most controls are hard to see. I even kept a flashlight to read the writing on the small controls, even in daytime. The controls are easy to read when you shine a light directly on them, but I did not want a brightly lit room while on during the night.

I worked out a solution by going to Office Depot and found this very thin led light that attaches to the table. There are several bends you can point the light at the best angle which creates no glare to the eyes at night. I never need any additional light at night to see the controls. The thin light hardly puts out any heat and the small transformer is at the plug.

N4FZ, KA4DPO and K8XG like this.
  2. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have something like that lite on a goose neck on all my radio and computer tables when I need to see something at my now older age than I expected to be at, Hi Hi

3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you been able to discern any RF interference generated by the light or its wall-wart?

Regards,
    -Bruce

4. KE9HS

When you get real old like me, RTTY and digital is great for the hard of hearing lol.

KU4X likes this.
  5. KE9HS

RF--This one has the very small transformer built it in where you plug in. I have not detected noise on this one. I have had read about the larger ones doing it.

KU4X and K8XG like this.
  6. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Setting another piece of gear on top of a brandy new jillion buck rig makes me queasy, but---whatever.

W8NIC, W7EDC, N0KEW and 1 other person like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So .... does driving a new car in the rain or on a dirt road have the same response?

It's just a metal box.... why be queasy over setting a lighter metal box on it if not covering key ventilation etc. which does not appear the case?

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX and K8XG like this.
  8. KE9HS

Yea, eventually I will build a shelf on the table. My main concern now is spilling coffee on the controls ;). You should of seen my first novice rigs back in 1972. Both had rust marks on the top and sides.

N3AWS and K8XG like this.
  9. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Just the potential for permanent marks that gets me and I am far from a neat freak.

N4FZ likes this.
  10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you must , put a Micro Fiber Towel between those devices siting on each other if you must... yes that works...

N4FZ and K8PG like this.