The first new antenna concept in 100 years

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KQ6TT, Jul 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KQ6TT

KQ6TT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have finished the design of the first new antenna concept in one hundred years. After contacting several antenna companies, I find that there is a lot of resistance to believe it. The patent application has been made. The antenna is short and straight and has no ground structures. Power is applied at one end with the other end being driven by sending the power up the inside of a tube. Impossible! Wrong! Here is the basic description of getting the power up the inside. Start with a tube maybe 1/16 Lamda long. Insert a smaller tube inside the first tube. Call one end the bottom end and the power driven end. At the other end, the top end, completely short the two tubes together. Leave the end of the small tube open. The two tubes form a coaxial transmission line with the center conductor open at the top. A short transmission line that is shorted at the far end has an inductive input impedance. Here is the magic. Connect a capacitor across the two tubes at the bottom that brings that point to parallel resonance--i.e. looks like an open circuit between the two tubes. There is now a path up the inside of the inside tube, across the top to the outside of the large tube and back to the driving point. This path sees the same driving voltage as the resonant circuit. Electrons are as smart as water. They will find the way! That is just the beginning of the design. I have built and tested several units, and they behave very closely to the computer calculations. None of the usual available antenna software programs will work to solve this design because they cannot solve a short "Current Stick" with a hidden current path. If you believe in the basic idea, please pass it on to other hams. At eight-nine years old, I need to get this finished.

2. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Way way too little infoooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    If must be April Fools (in your mind!)

N8ZL and AK5B like this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

See "The Little Antenna That Could" [Not] thread for details.:D

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. KQ6TT

KQ6TT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not a complete design. The write up is just to try to show how current can be made to go the full length of the outer tube by applying power to only one end. I am not showing any impedance matching methods.
    To tune to different bands, you change the value of the capacitor.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Pictures / drawings would eliminate the need for a thousand more words ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY, N8ZL, AE8W and 2 others like this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many chains being yanked around here.

All y'all need to get outside and get some Vitamin D!

My, you are the precocious little fella, ain't ya?

KF5RRF, N0TZU, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I understand correctly, then the radiation into space is entirely from the current on the outside of the outer tube. Other than the driving impedance and details, how is this different from a 1/16 wavelength wire?

K2CAJ, AK5B and WA7ARK like this.
  8. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am trying to follow that explanation.

In antenna design, "Power is applied" and "end being driven" are synonymous. To apply power to (or to "drive") any antenna structure, it requires that a two-terminal electrical source (Voltage or Current) is connected between two conducting parts of the antenna, or that one conducting part (a wire?) is cut into two parts and the source is connected between the open ends created by cutting.

I got lost in the opening sentence of your description.

How is power applied "at one end" of the tube? Between which two parts of the structure?

Two concentric tubes, right?

How can the top end of the inner tube simultaneously be shorted to the outer tube and be "open" at the same time?

You must mean that the bottom (driven) end of the tubes is "open", but if that is where the two-terminal source and resonating capacitor connects, then that means that the source is connected between the larger diameter tube and the inner tube?

9. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And that is why I get in an 8-mile run every morning....otherwise I would go insane!

N4FZ, AK5B and WR2E like this.
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still partial to using CD's and a windowscreen to obtain an antenna with infinite impedance. (A cookie to any OT Zedizen who gets the reference). :)