ad: Stlouis-1

"The FCC could ask you to pay to complain"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3WN, Jul 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no fee for amateur radio, nor is any proposed.

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but my concern was (and is) that if this proposal comes to pass, it sets a bad precedent..

I simply do not believe that we should have to pay a fee (or even a refundable deposit, in effect) to a federal agency to request them to do their job and enforce their regulations.

I do “get” that there are a few who abuse the system. And in those cases of abuse, there should be repercussions for said abuse. But this? Punishing all (potentially) because of the actions of a very few?

I also don’t care for the overall slant of the proposal, in that a Federal agency that is supposed to look out for our interests is more concerned with the interests of the big corporations, than it is for us mere citizens. And since said Federal agency is the FCC, in this instance, any actions that they take in the future that could further impact (and diminish or otherwise reduce) our importance to the agency are, IMHO, an Amateur Radio related matter.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    WZ7U likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to file a suit in court there are usually fees involved.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s not the same thing.

I’m referring to the Executive Branch, not the Judicial Branch.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

:)

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a similar thing happening here with airport noise complaints at a local general aviation airport and for Denver International. Something like 90% of the complaints are generated by just a few people. Thousands of them a year!

7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, as long as there is a mechanism for consumers to make "free" complaints, which probably won't be investigated individually, but which could be aggregated to identify whether there is a pattern emerging that requires intervention; and as long as any fee to lodge a more involved complaint is not onerous and is refundable if the complaint meets some reasonable level of non-stupidity...I think I'd be OK with it.

I'm not a fan of the idea of ordinary consumers having their access to the regulators who are charged with protecting them restricted....but people can be dumb, and frivolous complaints are a drain on limited resource. Finding a way that constrains the frivolity without overly restricting non-frivolous complaints seems wise.

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I suspect they could be losing out on billions of dollars of potential revenue !

9. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, there's that pesky thing in the 1st Amendment that gets in the way.
    The government cannot make laws (or rules) that affect the rights of the citizen to petition the government.
    In this case, where a complaint has been filed, the petitioner (or filer) is requesting the government to do it's job.
    It's that simple. Just because there are too many filings doesn't give the government the capability to limit those filings (which are petitions of sorts).
    This approach is just another way the government avoids doing it's job.
    Given a case being filed in federal court, it's entirely possible this idea will go down as unconstitutional.

Have fun
    Gary

10. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pay for "Complaints"? Why not? The FCC Enforcement Bureau already charges big bucks to hams, for "Being Hit on the Head" lessons. :eek:

"Whaaaaaah!"
    ................../
    a1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    N2EY likes this.