"The FCC could ask you to pay to complain"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3WN, Jul 11, 2018 at 4:40 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

There you go. Forwarding is ok as long as there can be an appeal and serious follow-up, which may require a fee. But any fee paid up front by the complainer should be reimbursed if judged significant and valid and then charged as a penalty to the offender, service provider or otherwise.

Similar to proposed tort reforms against filing frivolous civil law suits.

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny how people will suddenly decide not to have a “problem” if it’s going to cost them money. Even $50 would probably stop most frivolous complaints.

W3MMM likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if part of the problem we have with getting effective enforcement is all the "noise" that the EB has to deal with from other complainants? That is, the pile is deep enough that they never get to AR complaints?

If a fee would slow down the silly stuff, I wonder if they would have more time for the AR service?

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the hidden reason for the charge and a brilliant idea for desperate times. I suspect it came from the very (very) top.

The FCC is very aware that there is misbehavior on amateur radio but haven't had the resources because they need to deal with lots of other less important stuff.

This will free up resources to clean up AR in a big way.

First priority will be the dit ditters. Those stations that send dit dit at the end of the CW qso without identifying.

W0PV likes this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

is this for real or sarcasm?

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, it also took me a minute to figure out he was must messing with us. ;)

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The issue is pecuniary interest. In most every other service, there is money being made that requires the airwaves. Two way radio, broadcasting, public service. Even the Red Cross has money generated. But amateur radio is a service which is used by individuals with no pecuniary interests. As such the "fee" for amateur radio should be free or a pro-rata amount based on some low number. IMHO, $50 max.

The only exception is the ARRL which has employees and collects money. They should have to pay the full $200+ dollar amount.

KK5JY likes this.
  8. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

ODD, it wasn't too long ago that FCC dropped the vanity upgrade fees because 'it wasn't worth the extra bureauacratic paperwork.'

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but it wasn't $200!

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Does this mean they'll start charging OOs when they send their Official Observations to the FCC?