ad: CQMM-1

The Famous radio brand ... GELOSO was a amateur radio !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Dec 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

JOHN GELOSO - I1JGM (SK)

Engineer GELOSO among his many activities he found the time to devote himself also to the radio activity, broadcasting with the glorious call of I1JGM and it is with this name that on June 15, 1951 he obtained the IARU "WAC" (Worked All Continents) award in voice, with the tx Geloso G 210TR (10 valves, 5 ranges, voice and handwriting).

Related links to this WAC were with: W6CHY for America Sept. LU5AQ for South America. TA3FAS for Asia OH6OM for Europe ZS1KY for Africa and finally VK4RT for Australia; demonstrating in this way, if needed, the validity of the equipment he designed and built.

Engineer Geloso's amateur radio activity resulted in the study and construction of receivers and transmitters for the radio ranges on the industrial and construction level, see the G 209 R receiver and the G 212 transmitter for short waves; the very famous "G" lines, composed of separate TX / RX for example the G 222 TR 75 Watt in AM (which mounted the glorious tube 807) or the receiver the G 4/214 until the last one that saw the light of the G 4 / 216 mk III.

Most Famous for ham-radio the Geloso KIT !

taken from a piece by my dear friend who passed away SK Luciano IW1PUE

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

geloso.jpg

VE2GCE, W0PV, EA4BPN and 2 others like this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

They copied the Hallicrafters of the era, they drifted. I worked my share of them.

Carl
    Ham since 1955

3. IW2BSF

??? i think NO.... the look is totally different , hi hi !

halli.jpg

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As I recall, John Geloso came to the US and worked at Hammarlund radio for several years before returning to Italy to found his own company.

IW2BSF likes this.
  5. IW2BSF

yes... it's true , from Wikipedia :

In 1920 he left his established company to move to New York, where less than two years later, although still very young and unknown, he found work in an electronic components company, the Pilot Electric Manufacturing Company, in which he distinguished himself for his tireless and brilliant activity. Meanwhile, he graduated with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Cooper Square University.

During those years Geloso made an important research contribution in the field of image transmission, realizing in 1928 with devices he designed, the first series of experimental television broadcasts in the United States and in the world, practically demonstrating the possibility of making television , until then considered a remote possibility to come from the few scholars who dealt with it.

However, despite the sensational result and the wide coverage given to the event by the press, Geloso did not consider the solution technically satisfactory, considering the experiment only the first step in a long series of improvements in a field that would have a great future.

He also gained a great personal experience that led him in 1931, as soon as he returned to Italy, to found John Geloso S.A. in a very modest location in via Sebenico 7 in Milan, where the construction of material for radio receivers and amplifiers began, which was also supplied in the form of assembly boxes of complete devices to enthusiasts of the sector, thus contributing to the theoretical and practical professional training of subsequent generations of radio-electronic technicians.

Another valid training tool he wanted was the "Geloso Technical Bulletin", a quarterly publication born from the beginning of the company and distributed free of charge, with which company news and circuit details of company products were made public to technicians and radio amateurs. as well as suggestions for their best use.

bull.jpg

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

VE2GCE, KP4SX and KA0HCP like this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wasn't aware of his technical bulletins! Thanks. bill

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I had a Geloso VFO for a few years - worked more like a sweep generator :eek::)

But it really looked cool.

I always thought he was going after the "Multi Elmac" look myself....

Dave
    W7UUU

8. IW2BSF

yes..... the technical bulletins of the GELOSO was at the time very popular and famous both among the electronic technicians and among the radio amateurs of those times .... all with the callsign I1!

73 de Rudy IW2BSF

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my first Field Day operations in the early '60s there was a Geloso RX at the 15-meter station. It looked nice don't recall how it well it performed.

IW2BSF likes this.
  10. IW2BSF

.... great OLD vintage radio , hi :)

11. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ad from 1957 in the Swedish society journal QTC:

upload_2020-12-20_14-12-46.png

Another ad from 1960, this time for the very uncommon 144 MHz VFO 4/103, which deserved the description "sweep generator":

upload_2020-12-20_14-18-7.png

The picture shows the successor model for HF, 4/104 which had somewhat better frequency stability.

"Geloso VFO" became very popular, it is estimated that nearly half of the 50s/60s amateur population in Sweden had at one time or another operated one, often together with an 807
    or later a 6146.

[​IMG]

This is how an early-60s "run-of-the-mill" amateur station very often looked in Sweden
    (SM4DFF, from my home-town). Geloso G.209 receiver to the left, homebrew AM/CW transmitter using 4/104 VFO+6146 to the right.

A common joke among 50s/60s amateurs was: "Geloso, driver du med mig?"
    (Geloso, are you pulling my leg? "=pulling the frequency").

"Ah! Memories!"

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

IW2BSF and W0PV like this.
  12. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

A very typical QSL:

[​IMG]

And another station picture:

[​IMG]'
    BC-348 and Geloso+807 transmitter. (Picture from old friend SM4CJK)

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

IW2BSF and KA0HCP like this.
  13. WT0HP

WT0HP Ham Member QRZ Page

the 209 I bought from World Radio was my 1st receiver and I still have it. hope to get it back on the air one day.

IW2BSF likes this.