The Extra Test

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KA5ROW, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NI7I

NI7I Guest

You miss the point of the exam. It isnt there to give information. It isnt there to prepare you to get on the air. It's there, as are all exams, to measure your knowledge. Nothing more. Nothing less.

NI7I

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC doesn't agree with you, however:

Joe

3. NI7I

NI7I Guest

If that is the case, how do the tests acomplish this? I believe the FCC, in this case have miss stated the purpose of the exam. Supose, however that they have not. Since the tests dont really acomplish this purpose, why not just provide a simple single question on a form.. Something like... " can you properly operate an amateur radio station?" Answer "yes" and get your ticket. This would acomplish the same thing and cost a lot less.

NI7I

4. K6JJH

K6JJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I dunno....I don't think the FCC cares too much if you shock yourself while wiring up your station, but questions that require you to know the definition of "control operator" and what freqs you're allowed to transmit what on etc,....I would say that lands solidly in the "knowing how to properly operate a station" catagory.

As a new Tech testee (passed last week), I can say the info I needed to be familiar with was worth the effort to learn. It barely scratches the surface, but it's like trying to teach someone to swim; you start with how to tread water and from THAT point, they shouldn't drown while you teach them the rest.

JMHO.
    :D

5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As the FCC says, the purpose is to determine if one is capable. Completing medical school and a residency in surgery does not guarantee that one is 100% capable of operating on me, but I prefer that over them showing a simple ability to answer a question "can you operate?" in the affirmative.

YMMV.

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

This is certainly true. I wouldnt either. However, we arent talking about doctors here. As has been pointed out a kajillion times, this is a hobby. What we do on the air generally wont have much of an impact on anyones life. Not a very well thought out analogy.

The question I have is, if the FCC doesnt want to confirm the knowledge of anything that is on the test, why go through the trouble of having the test? It doesnt make a lot of sense. If it is a work around compliance with an international treaty, then a simple single question would work just fine. Since we have established that the FCC doesnt care, and since we publish the answers to the silly tests, why give the tests.

The only question needed would be "are you qualified to operate an amateur radio station?" Answer yes or no.. perhaps another question would be in order; Do you understand all of the regulatiolns concerning the amateur radio service? answer yes or no.. If both are "Yes" then you qualifiy for the license..

NI7I

7. N5YOZ

N5YOZ Guest

What was the original question? . . .

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

But the issue was not whether ham radio was a hobby or a life-saving endeavor. It had to do with whether or not the teaching methods and subsequent testing, as you pointed out, resulted in someone who was not only licensed, but knowledgeable.

I exactly addressed that point with an analogy that brought to light the importance, or lack thereof, of testing and that *no* test guaranteed results.

The problem with that is that you ignore the FCC's response to a similar inquiry when they clearly indicated, apparently to your dismay, that part of the purpose of testing is to determine whether one is capable of operating an amateur station.

Unfortunately, whether you agree with the FCC or not as to whether their testing results in capable operators or not is irrelevant. On the other hand, should you choose to believe a surgeon is capable simply based on his word without any proof would be entirely up to you if you lived somewhere that did not regulate that surgeon. But, you don't.

Similarly, the FCC sets the standards here. Your beef is with them. Have you discussed this with them? :confused:

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can make that proposal to the FCC, I have a feeling it won't go far, however.

The FCC feels the testing is fine the way it is. It is identical to the way testing is done for the commercial tickets, too. I don't think they are open to any radical changes in the testing procedure. It has been this way for 25 years in the HR arena, and not likely to change much in the near future.

Joe

10. W9MBT

W9MBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.