The Extra Test

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KA5ROW, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

By "instruction" I meant some sort of learning, be that classroom or self done.

You demean those that take the test by making such outlandish statements. Most people have no hope of passing even the tech test without many hours of study or learning. Most hams cannot pass the extra test, as evidenced by those that try and fail, or that don't try because they know they can't do it.

The test for extra is not as easy as you (and others) want to make it out to be. The test for tech is not hard, yet I'll bet 90% of the people off the street would not be able to pass it. The test for extra is much harder than the test for tech.

Joe

2. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Joe,
    I demean no one. I didn’t say that all people prepare for the exam by memorizing the answers. I said that it was the most popular method of preparing. There are, I’m sure, many hams that actually study the material.

I didn’t prepare at all for any of my amateur tests. I’m sure that there are many that didn’t need to prepare for these tests. None of them were that difficult for me.. Of course the tests may be more difficult now than they were 25 years ago. None of the ham tests came close to the commercial telegraph test.

That would be an interesting exercise. I think that 90 percent of the people willing to try would most certainly pass. I don’t \think the statement was outlandish. What is outlandish is that a test is offered for which the answers are freely available. But then, that’s just my opinion. I wont criticize you for disagreeing with me.

Regards,
    Lee
    NI7I

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

One may know enough radio theory to pass the tests without preparing, but there are aspects of operation of a station covered in those tests that one *has* to prepare for. There is nothing intrinsic within radio theory that prepares one for regulations, spectrum allocation, satellite regulations and operations, etc etc.

Somehow you learned that information, thus you prepared for them.

But, I understand your point. With services like hamtestonline, you *can* simply memorize the questions and have to know little theory. Yet, they present it in a fashion that you can't help but learn some of it.

The extra test was the *only* test I took where I had access to the question pool. All the previous tests required me to actually spend time learning the theory from a text book and applying that to the exam.

...........Bob

4. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I sort of agree.. Almost all of the regulation questions can be answered correctly using common sense (if you have any). Reading the pool 3 or 4 times before you take the test and you will retain enough correct answers for enough time to pass the test. Will you know these answers a week later? Probably not. You actually “learn” very little. The whole point of the “practice tests” is to retain enough information for a short period of time to pass the exam.. Nothing more. What you may learn, you learn by accident.

NI7I

5. N6NQZ

N6NQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N6NQZ

N6NQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops. mods there is one bad word at the end of this link.

7. NI7I

NI7I Guest

8. AB9VN

AB9VN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am so tired of you prima donna's. Not all of us AMATEURS were career radio operators. A large percentage of us are not electrical engineers either. Also, WE didn't drop the code requirements so GET OVER IT! We did, however, expend the time and energy to legally obtain our licenses; meeting the requirements set forth by the FCC. Negative attitudes like this are what are killing amateur radio, not a lack of interest. When you old farts get off of your pedestals and start helping new hams to learn when they have questions, instead of beating them publicly, this hobby will advance.

9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I don’t recall anybody mentioning Morse code in this thread. If you studied the theory that is required to pass the exams, you wouldn’t even be close to being an EE. The theory is very basic stuff. I don’t recall anybody getting bashed in this thread. I don’t see our hobby as being “killed”. It is alive and well. I don’t think it is in danger. There is nothing negative in my attitude. I help out new hams when I can. What I have a hard time with are basic theory questions that are asked by recently licensed hams who have passed a test that those questions are included. It tells me that instead of showing an interest in the theory that is required by the FCC, they memorized the answer pool just enough to pass the exams without learning what is required.

If you ask a question publicly that exposes your ignorance of theory that the FCC required you to know to get your license, you can expect some ridicule. Perhaps extra class licensees that have basic theory questions should ask them in private. Better yet, get a text or two and learn the theory that you should have known to earn your license. I consider it a lack of interest if a fellow doesn’t take the time to learn the material..

I wont put you down for the way you chose to prepare for the test. If the FCC didn’t require that you know the theory, they would not have required a test to prove it. Until proven otherwise, I assume that a general or extra class licensee knows the theory that was required to earn his ticket. I consider it proof otherwise when that licensee opens his mouth and voices a question he should certainly know..

Curious about where in this thread you saw the code requirement mentioned. I didn’t see it. It’s not really something I worry about.. I guess you do. I happen to enjoy Morse Code but can understand why many don’t. Like any language, it takes some work to master it. Many newer licensees don’t seem to want to work that hard at it.

I note that you have a few weeks under your belt as a ham. Welcome to the hobby. I would suggest that you gain some experience in the hobby before you venture judgements about its health.

Regards
    Lee
    NI7I

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
  10. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been in the hobby since 1994, not too terribly long. I have a good opinion of ham radio in general. It's a great hobby and when not working, enjoy my radio very much.
    What attempts to spoil ham radio is people like you which can be easily found on QRZ. You discourage, not encourage. You blab on about how easy the Extra exam is which only serves to put down the hams that have recently taken the exam. Your statements only show hatefulness, bitterness, and spite.
    Truth be told, I found the Extra Exam to be easy but I have an electronics background. Many others who take the Exam do not and as a result, need to spend time in prep. Regardless if someone "memorizes" the answers or not, I couldn't care less.
    Morse code was brought up. Now why do you think that happened? The person who brought it up had you pegged for a "new ham hater" and assumed that you would hate the no-codes/slow codes as well.
    My father-in-law gave up ham radio a few years back because he doesn't like the changes either. LOL, the funny part is, he would'nt know a resisitor from a capacitor. He can send code at 40 wpm though! I wonder how he passed the written test? He knows nothing about electronics, and has problems with basic math. He was a code operator during the Korean War while in the AF.

So you see, it can be dished back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.