The Extra Test

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KA5ROW, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

How many different Extra test are there? Or does the VE team make one up on there own and just choose the allotted number of questions from each group. :D

2. NI7I

NI7I Guest

There is no longer a test for extra. All you must do is tell the ve team that you have successfully memorized the questions and answers and they issue the license then and there.

NI7I

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, there is far too much truth to that statement. But, to answer the question, if there are 500 questions in the pool and the test has 50 questions, how many different tests can there be?

I don't actually remember how many questions are in the entire pool, but you get the drift.

Why do you ask, btw?? :confused:

4. KT6G

KT6G Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N2DLP

N2DLP Ham Member QRZ Page

There are 738 questions in the Extra Pool.
    The test is 50 of them.
    So there can be a Very large number of different tests.

It requires 37 correct answers to pass the test.

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

You would have me torture large animals.??. They all bite but the larger ones take larger chunks out.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure what the current procedure is, but I know some VE teams rely on software that picks the questions from the pool at random, according to the required numbers for each section. So, every time they give the test, it will be new questions. The local team usually prepares three different tests for each level.

And it is easier to learn the actual material and understand it than it is to memorize 738 questions and answers. Or at least it's less painful.

8. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Actually, it's not. If it were easier, everybody would prepare that way. The fact is, the most popular way to prepare is to take practice tests until you consistently get passing grades. A chimp can pass the test and know nothing of the subject matter. Granted, he needs to be an above avcerage chimp.

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll bet you $10,000 that you cannot find a chimp that could pass any of the amateur radio tests.

I would further wager that the vast majority of people could not pass any of the tests without several hours of instruction.

Joe

10. NI7I

NI7I Guest

You may win the first wager as I dont really have access to many chimps down here. I dont think you have a good chance on the 2nd wager. It has already been proven not to be the case. It takes virtually no classroom instruction. It takes only access to the question/answer pools. You know this. It takes NO knowledge of the material to pass any of the tests. Look at the questions that are asked by licensed amateurs on this forum.

It has been shown that, if you read all of the questions and answers at least 3 times, you will probably get a passing mark. No instruction required. No knowledge of electronics required.

I did qualify the chimp statement by saying he would have to be above acerage.,

I dont think you would find that many chimps that would want to try.

NI7I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.