ad: M2Ant-1

The Dumbedt Mistake I've Ever Made

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K1KTF, Jul 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1KTF

K1KTF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In 2004 I thankfully got back into Amateur Radio and decided to sell my first rig a Drake 2-C receiver and Drake 2NT transmitter since I wanted to upgrade to an HF station.

The Drakes were posted on QRZ and sold a short time after.

In hindsight, this was thee dumbest mistake I ever made and regret it ever since, being I was sentimentally missing the Drakes and particularly how I could have handed my childhood rig down to my kids.

The lesson here is "think first" before you plan to make a few extra dollars. Positive memories are more important than money.

Thanks for listening (I feel somewhat better).

73 ~ Steve (K1KTF)

KK5JY and WD4IGX like this.
  2. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

What a valuable lesson! In the future, I'll try to bear in mind what you're saying here. Thank you so much for your testimony.

K1KTF likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Why not just source replacements? The only thing different will be the serial numbers :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WA7PRC, N7ANN and K2HAT like this.
  4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I agree, I have seen a lot of Drake stuff cheap at the Hamfests the last 2 years.

K1KTF likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't beat yourself up about it.

Make your next dumb mistake even better, And you will forget about this one. :)

WA7PRC, K1KTF, WY7RF and 2 others like this.
  6. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

This actually made sense . I need more coffee.

K9MOG likes this.
  7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I should have never sold my R-4B with the noise blanker.
    But.......
    I was Stupid....
    And Did.

KV4VO likes this.
  8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I have owned a lot of equipment over the nearly 50 years I have been a ham. Rarely was it new and certainly not "classic" like the Collins S line or the Drake twins. I gave it all away for free (after I upgraded) to hams I had mentored and am I happy to have helped others along the way. To me, this is what ham radio is all about.
    Tom WA4ILH

N6RGR and AF6LJ like this.
  9. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a great thing to do. Bravo to you, sir.

KG5THG and K1KTF like this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a very nice Drake C line, R4-C and T-4Xc, back in the early 90s. I still kick myself for selling those, especially when I see the prices really nice ones bring (or at least, the prices people ASK) these days. Samples that look like they've been through a war are not as much, of course, but nor I do want those.

K1KTF likes this.
  11. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Next best thing....purchased a new 2-C and 2NT in 1966/67 and sold them along with many rigs over the years. Now have a restored 2-C and 2NT in fact have a second 2NT on the bench to go with a 2B enjoy doing the restorations and make for good cold weather projects.

Here's a shot of 2NT (#1) when it was being restored.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  12. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve, I feel your pain. I had to sell my one and only rig, a Yaesu FT-1000MP during some lean years because we had to pay the mortgage. I loved that rig so much, I couldn't take it to UPS to be shipped. My XYL did it for me. It was my first "real" radio, but when life happens you've got to do what you've got to do. These days when I see them at hamfests I always look to see if it's my old rig. I recall that it went to a guy in Seattle, but I never could track him down to try and buy it back when greener pastures came along. These days a used FT-1000MP sells for more than what I paid for mine when it was new. But, I still look and still get a little choked up when one goes up for sale. :(

13. K1KTF

Thank you so much for sharing your Yaesu FT-1000MP story.

I was thinking about buying another pair of the "Drakes" but it just wouldn't be the same.

Thank you so much once again.

73~Steve (K1KTF)

14. K1KTF

Dave:
    It's like dating your ex girlfriend's twin sister. It may feel the same but only you would know the truth.

Thanks for listening.

73~Steve (K1KTF)

15. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved my used 2B/2BQ & then my new R4C ... but never again. The game is different when you can see way up the band or on different bands where the activity is and what kind. Running blind has no place for me now. Give me SDR & touch screens baby.

Sorry for sounding irreverent

K1KTF likes this.