ad: AlphaRF-1

The digital modes have to many lids.

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NP4JS, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First thing I have to wonder is how close was this digital station that you're upset about, and second what kind of digital signal was it.

If it was one of those Winlid stations that fire up on top of anyone they please whenever and whereever they please, then I can see your point.

If on the other hand, you were using a barn-door-wide SSB filter for CW and you were upset about some PSK or RTTY that was going on 1 or 2 kHz away, then the problem is really of your own making. If that's the case then you really should get a filter for your rig that is more appropriate for CW operation, 500 Hz or less, and avoid getting within a few hundred Hz of the digital watering-holes. The PSK crowd seldom strays very far from those areas.

Or maybe this is just a whine about the RTTY contesting last weekend. If that's what this is about, then just move down the band or to 30 meters until it's over. There's nothing you can do about it.

2. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

Unbelievable..LOL
    You assume digital operators don't know Morse Code? Here is a news flash for ya...a 10 year old can learn Morse Code. In fact, a child can learn the code much faster than an adult can. Many cub scouts learn Morse code.
    So you had to master the code? I can respect that but if you come here and mouth off to others and make assumtions then you don't deserve respect. Your crappy attitude takes away any validity to your complaint.
    If you don't like how the hobby has changed Morse Code wise then YOU should be the one to turn in your ticket.

3. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

haha, I don't see any "hate" in W4RLR's post. I don't see a hurried response and he doesn't give the impression of "veins popping out of your forehead", lol.
    What I see is an appropriate response to your rude, unthoughtful, insensitive, and ignorant remark about digital users.

It is you that needs to slow down..."hart" is spelled "heart" and "made" should be spelled "mad".

4. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Ya know, guys who post with a belligerent attitude, especially if they have a low post count to begin with, often do not last too long on this forum. There are ways to state things, and then there are other ways to state things! A word to the wise should be sufficient !

5. NP4JS

NP4JS Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Time to grow up my fellow Hams.........

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been on CW and digital modes for about 45 years, now, and this has been an eternal squabble.

Frankly, if you're getting QRMed by 'digital lids' "all the time" I'm suspicious. Serious RTTY contesters use 300-500 Hz. filters on receive. If you're not using a narrow filter for CW, that's a problem.

I fully agree that the RTTY contesters have become hard to take in recent years, even though I operate RTTY. However, I prefer PSK31, which tends to get clobbered even more than CW. The only way to really get away from the contests is to go to the WARC bands - 30 is open most of the time now, and 17 is often there, too. I would like to see the RTTY contest sponsors adopt frequency limits for their contesters that would leave open substantial territory for CW. But, frankly, if you want to work CW on 14.065 in a RTTY contest, you are going to get QRMed no matter what you do.

7. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an observation and question:

If someone were transmitting CW on the same frequency, or even close to a digital operator, it would be quite visible on the waterfall.

There are a few frequencies in each band where the digital mode operators congregate, such as 14.070 mhz, 7.070 mhz, 7.035 mhz for PSK31.

Were you operating on or close to one of those frequencies, or did the digital operator wander off away from these frequencies?

8. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

He posted this after the CQWW RTTY Contest. One of the biggest RTTY contests of the year. This year on 20 I heard signals from .06 all the way to .130 His post was just a rant and BS. During the CW contests you will find CW well into the so called digital sub band. Cant keep everyone happy all of the time. This is why I like to operate all of the CW, RTTY and SSB contests. See ya on the battlefield. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.