The digital modes have to many lids.

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NP4JS, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it is quite possible, and if fact PROBABLE, that the digital stations that WY9J is upset about did not hear him. But he assumes that

a. the stations hear him
    b. they don't give a damn and transmit over him anyway
    c. they don't know Morse, don't use Morse, and will never learn Morse.

That is a pretty far stretch.

The club of which I am a member recently had a tech night regarding digital modes, mostly for the benefit of those who are new to the amateur service. The presenter stressed repeatedly the importance of monitoring the waterfall and using the bare minimum of power, even giving a demonstration of software picking up data out of the mud where a signal could not be heard from using your ears. Amazing stuff, and a mode I would prefer to use over phone. I'm not a rag chewer either on or off the air.

9J's post fits the stereotype of a ticked off senior amateur (I hate the phrase 'old fart') I guess my reply fits the stereotype of a newbie who is tired of the 100 percent pure unadulterated crap that is dispensed by those who have a chip on their shoulder about those who received their ticket without a Morse test.

I wish I COULD get on the air more. Trying to make a living prevents it.

2. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

Oooops

Totally my error, Albert, and it is now repaired. I'm sorry. See PM for further bowing and scraping. 73 & keep pounding brass.

Gary, K9ZMD/6

3. NP4JS

NP4JS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are you so offended by this post W4RLR? I can almost see the veins popping out on your forehead from here. Please slow down a little and read what is being posted before you have a hart attack. You are making conjectures based on your hate of OT's. Why does it make you so made that some one else has a view about something?

4. NP4JS

I disagree K0RGR. This post is about sharing the amount of frequency that the FCC allows us to have. We are suppose to be a self policing and in that light Elmer's have a responsibility to help out where we can to let others know where wrong is being done. This post was placed very carefully by myself to help teach other Hams that there is a protocol that should be followed by all Hams in using the frequency's given us.

Also as far as I know there is nothing in the FCC rules that allows one mode of operation to be rude and inconsiderate to other modes just because there is a contest for that mode. Not to metion that they are breaking FCC regs by doing so. This is not isolated to one weekend a year for a contest. One would know this if one were to use the CW mode. It happens all of the time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. KD7EIR

KD7EIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that all amateurs need to be courteous and LISTEN/LOOK before they transmit, regardless of the mode that they are using.

Whether or not someone had to take a morse test to get their license has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. Whether or not a person passed a morse test has absolutely NOTHING to do with their ability/desire to be a courteous amateur.

The fact that the OP mentioned morse does show a certain level of disdain on his part for anyone that does not know/use morse. That is too bad. When you try to demean people, for ANY reason, they tend to stop listening to ANYTHING that you are saying.

If the OP wants to educate new or old amateurs about proper on air etiquette, he needs to abandon the delusion that passing a morse test makes him superior to them in any way. He is NOT superior to ANYONE, and he does NOT have any more claim to the spectrum than any other licensed amateur. All that passing a morse test means is that you know morse.

I am certain that the OP's years of on air experience could be put to great use by educating/mentoring other amateurs that either do not know the proper etiquette or perhaps just need a refresher. However, in order to accomplish this, he will need to understand that you catch more files with honey than vinegar.

6. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Specifically what modes and frequencies? I see the PSK guys at 070 and RTTY at 032 to 037 typically. I never hear digital modes below 025 where I am at 90% of the time. TYpically 000 to 032 are CW, 037 to 065 are CW.

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't hate OTs. Some of the people in the amateur service whom I most admire, including my Elmer, are OTs

I've had a heart attack already.

I don't like your assertion that people who have not yet mastered Morse are somehow lower forms of life, less intelligent, lazy, and all of the usual derogatory terms that have been tossed about since the Morse requirement was dropped.

Other than that, you're probably an okay fellow. KY5U is another person that I frequently locked horns with, but after an eyeball QSO, I found him to be someone I would be proud to be friends with.

I just think your letting loose with both barrels and making assumptions that digital mode users are as a class rude, boorish lids was a bit over the top.

Other than that, have a fine day, OM!

All the best,

Richard

8. NP4JS

:confused: If ham radio is going to become the self serving mind set that is being portrayed by some of the replies shown in this post then we deserve what we get. Open your minds and you open your world. Close your minds and so closes the door. :(

9. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this really belong in the Elmer section of the forum???

EDIT To Add: The internet is full of LIDS too. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  10. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

"This post was placed very carefully by myself to help teach other Hams that there is a protocol that should be followed by all Hams in using the frequency's given us."

You have to be kidding. Unfortunately your post was very inflamatory. Either you do not see that or you are hopelessly trying to defend an inappropriate post.

Flaming and blasting is a very poor way of teaching, particularly in a forum designed for new people to an activity.

If you truely do not understand how inflamatory your post was, then I suggest you do some self-inspection of refrain from further postings.

I think there is a possibility of a troll here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.