ad: elecraft

The death of the American ham radio industry

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are such an optimist Dave.:)

2. KA4DPO

CW is still the simplest form of radio communications. A complete transceiver can be made using one or two tubes or transistors and a few, easy to obtain components. It is surprising how effective such a simple rig can be. In a last ditch situation a simple rig built into a Band-Aid, or Altoids tin could be used to communicate very effectively using CW.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you actually built and used such a transceiver?

Sure - but there has to be someone to communicate with.

----

And consider this:

When I started in Amateur Radio, the most-common problem hams had was the cost of decent gear. Putting up a basic wire or vertical antenna wasn't a problem for most folks who owned their own homes. Towers and beams cost more but even rowhouse dwellers had them.

Today, decent gear costs MUCH less and does MUCH more. But a house where one can put up a basic wire or vertical antenna, let alone a tower and beam, is much rarer and more expensive.

4. KA4DPO

As a matter of fact I have. more than a few in fact.

This is my previous post below.

Anyone of even marginal skill can build a simple regenerative detector, buffered oscillator. That is one of the most easily created functional radios there is. Using a low loss balanced feed into a good dipole antenna, a 500 mw transmitter can work some amazing distances on 40 meters and even better on 20 and 15. Everyone knows that.

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone can learn to change their own oil, do their own plumbing, cook their own food, drive their own car, mow their own lawn, cut their own hair, do their own taxes, write their own software, or setup their own home network.

The basic fact that no one wants to to all of these things all the time has created industry and jobs.

N2EY likes this.
  6. N2EY

Partly. But there's more to it.

Changing one's own oil can be done - IF you can get to the drain plug and filter. Shops have lifts that make this easy; most people don't. Shops are also set up to properly dispose of the used oil and filters, and since they buy both in large quantities, their costs are lower. The actual savings of oil-change DIY are often not much.

Plumbing can be DIY - but it takes tools and know-how, and again, the plumber has the advantage of buying wholesale. There's also the question of permits and inspection.

Cooking one's own food, driving one's own car, mowing one's own lawn and setting up a home network are pretty simple tasks requiring only basic skills. Sometimes, though, it makes sense to hire out the job - for example, if someone is going to be away from home for two months in the summer, hiring a lawn mowing service makes sense.

Taxes and software depend on the application. Some folks' taxes are simple enough; others aren't. Same for software applications.

Cutting one's own hair?

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I did intend to suggest that anyone could do that right now, simply that it is an obtainable skill.

8. N2EY

But they're not your main station, are they?

Sure - but what you describe is not a one- or two-tube/transistor transceiver.

9. KD9NXQ

KD9NXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So now now the fictional "Minimum competency requirement" in radio is a floating measure set by whoever complains the loudest and most often. Cool.

10. KA4DPO

OK, time to get real. This is my original post.

Those were things I built in the 1960' and early 70's for fun, they never were my primary station.

Actually, you are quite wrong. Years ago, I came across a design for a three tube phone rig for 2 and a half meters in an old QST. The rig used a classic Hartley regenerative detector and also used it as an oscillator by increasing the plate voltage, It was a simple matter to ditch the modulator/audio amp tube and audio transformer, and simply route 90 volts straight to the oscillator for transmit, or through a 100K pot to adjust regeneration.

By adding an RF choke, a pair of high impedance headphones, scaling the inductors and capacitance, and a 40 meter crystal that I switched in or out, the little sucker actually worked pretty well, it would light a number 47 pilot lamp.:)

So really what's your problem, because yours was one of the most stupid responses I have ever seen.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019