The death of the American ham radio industry

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WRONG

It does and it always has.

That doesn't mean every ham MUST know it.

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Knowing code makes you a better operator than you were before you learned code. It's a 'the more you know' thing. Morse knowledge isn't some magical filter separating the sheep from the goats.

KA0HCP and N2EY like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What i meant was the sense of community. My elmer is google, i bet yours had a name. There are 50 odd hams within 15mins drive of where i live. Only one is active on air and im not aware of any who home brew.

A forced environment where others are doing what i am currently doing, sounds appealing.

4. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We seem to be be moving to "high tech" aerial weaponry, where sensory cognizance is more important than aerial performance. Perhaps even the pilot will become peripheral, who knows? I wonder how that will all work out.

It's been almost 50 years now, but there was once a group in the Pentagon called the "Fighter Mafia." It was headed by a rogue genius named John Boyd (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighter_Mafia). One of the results of his influence was the F-15 Eagle, not quite to his liking but close enough. It was flown by American and allied air forces (Israeli, Saudi, Japanese, et al) and established an enviable one-on-one combat record: over 100 kills to zero losses. Not many planes can make such a claim.

I think that now air combat has become a vague fog. Where once planes designed for a specific role were accepted (e.g., F-15, A-10) they have been now discarded in favor of overly instrumented networked nerdish weenie thingies. I suppose if the pilots are all nerd REMFs sitting in front of 24 inch displays it won't matter so much. Life has become a video game, eh? :rolleyes:

5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would agree on all points, except I love the rag chew. :D

VK4HAT likes this.
  6. VK4HAT

We forgive you lol

7. KD9NXQ

KD9NXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So knowing how to write in pictographs makes one a better novelist?

WA4VQW likes this.
  8. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I did most of my "homebrewing" years before I became an Amateur, such things as regenerative radios & an "AM MF superhet "mantel radio" for Mum.

I bought a lot of bits secondhand for the "R,TV& H" mag's "5 inch TV", quite some years after it was a viable proposition, finally getting it "sort of working" about 10 years after buying the first bits, but then gave up & pulled it apart for the reuseable bits.

I was always a bit of a "rev head" so spent more time on cars---radio & electronics were what I did for a job!
    Being on shift at a TV transmitter site did give me a chance to fiddle around with a lot of odd bits, though, but mainly for curiosity rather than practical projects.

After I got "conned" into becoming a "ham" there were obviously things that had to be built, like antennas, & a power supply for my first 2m rig.
    It was an AWA MR6 modified from the commercial bands, was all valve, & drew 8 amps from the car battery on standby.
    It made more sense to supply the HT & filaments separately, rather than build a ginormous 13.8v supply, so the power transformer from the hapless "5 inch TV" was reborn!

I did build a 1 transistor transmitter for 40m out of "73" magazine.
    I didn't have a full licence, but the other bloke on shift with me did, so one very quiet night, we fired it up on a wire aerial hanging off the tower, & he sent CQ--no answer, though!

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What on earth does that have to do with code and radio?

That analogy completely lost me.

N2EY likes this.
  10. VK4HAT

Well you gave it a go that is what matters. The best I have managed so far is brisbane to sydney with 10mW from a pixie transceiver and brisbane to melbourne with 2w from another ebay transceiver kit. They are more or less novelties and gimmicks, but there can be a lot of fun to be had with these toys. Most of the scratch built stuff has only been used into a dummy load.