The death of a good thing, FT8 and FT4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR4YON, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-8 is not a beacon mode. It is a weak signal communication mode.

WSPR (Weak Signal Propagation Reporter) is a beacon or propagation reporting mode.
    John

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not answering you makes them a lid? I would love to hear your explanation for that profound statement.
    John

WG7X, AG5WC, KB9BVN and 1 other person like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Or (Ho hum,.) asleep... watching TV? maybe even supposedly doing both. The REAL question is: "did I make the contact, or was it my station?":confused::(:rolleyes:"

KR4YON likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

Just IMHO, the "paper chase" isn't much more than an "ego booster." I don't know or CARE even if can I qualify even for 5B DXCC. It's every single contact and content that are the only things important to me. And again, IMHO, the QSL card IS the "final courtesy." I don't rely upon LoTW, eQSL, or any other means. If the contact REALLY means something other than a "number," it should result in a QSL card. YMMV, obviously.:(:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? "all sorts",...??

Does it have more "auto features" than (say) HRD?

Perhaps you attribute certain auto features to WSJT, that WSJT itself does not actually have.

AG5DB likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

Just plain COURTESY mandates some reply in the same mode. If one tries to reply to a CW signal with a digital mode signal, is just plain RUDE, and not "good amateur practice."

PY2RAF likes this.
  7. KR4YON

KR4YON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

perhaps some folks should do some more research about wsjt-x
    my point exactly, there is full auto and cq modes. no operators seem to present

8. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

My late friend Larry pretty much paraphrased my opinions on this automated digital modes.. with some modest editing:

"This holds true especially for digital modes, where the gasbags are typically moored on channels like barrage balloons and generate a dozen useless contacts per minute (at least)." Larry (BigBandsman)

italics shows changes. :)

9. KR4YON

KR4YON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This whole discussion compares to CBers buying linears and being told not to use them knowing they will. the ft8 program is the same thing. fully programmed automated stations but the disclaimer reads don't let it run unattended.
    attached is for the people that have no idea what there arguing about
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-z/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If that's what you like, if that's what's fun for you, you're doing it right. Ham radio at heart is about having fun. I still like paper QSLs...from DX contacts anyway. Otherwise? An LOTW confirmation is just fine by me. And it makes things a lot easier when you work DX. As far as awards, for decades I felt the same way you do, "meh." Then, strangely, after my early retirement, I found I wanted that wallpaper and started DXCC and WAS from scratch and had a ball. I also find FT8 and FT4 to be fun, and a godsend on days of horrible propagation. But that's just me and the way I have fun on the radio. ;)

WA4BCS likes this.