The death of a good thing, FT8 and FT4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR4YON, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KR4YON

KR4YON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have enjoyed these digital made since becoming a ham but something has shifted the tides of balance. It seems with the introduction of wsjt-x people are using the automated modes and all of its filters. It appears they are trying to get a certificate or WAS award but I think they are killing the mode. People must be setting all sorts of filters and countries to obtain these goals. Even the pskreporter map reflects the filtering of previously worked station by to spotter. This was a great thing but this automated mode is cheating and people need to man there stations. It appears we have convienced ourself out of business. At this point it is a propagation tool at best. I am not a cheater and I will not confirm any QSO's from anyone I suggest is just building there QSO numbers....Rant Over

VK6APZ, PY2RAF, WW2PT and 3 others like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What's wrong with being selective about the stations one works?
    How is that different from a "filter," as you described earlier?

W4RAV likes this.
  3. KR4YON

It appears regular FT8 users are filtering out the other users on the band. Filter away but I like to know if or if not I am at least being heard.

4. KK5JY

Sure, and I don't blame them. I have a list of several hundred calls that I won't work (and more importantly, I won't let auto-sequence work them) because they are either bad robot implementations, or they otherwise send long sequences of repetitive transmissions that mess up auto-sequencing. I don't want to spend 20 minutes of (re)transmissions just because the guy on the other side didn't design a good automation program, or because he got up and went to the men's room half-way through the QSO and left his software stuck at "RR73."

And I'm not chasing DX, I'm just trying to keep my station from getting stuck by lid-like behavior.

So I guess I don't see the problem with being selective about whom one works?

5. KR4YON

As previously stated you are free to work whoever you want, but when we have all of these tools why not use them. Sound contradictory to my argument but we need to continue to be the passers of info. The automated mode is my complaint...I am sure people are watching TV and there stations are wide open.

6. KK5JY

Okay, I understand. :) That's a common complaint in the FT8-related threads.

KR4YON likes this.
  7. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess it's not surprising, though humorous, that computer automated ham radio would require anti-spam measures. Perhaps automated ham radio should be known as spam radio.

WZ7U, N0TZU, KR4YON and 1 other person like this.
  8. KR4YON

Hey You need to market that phrase before someone steals it. Automated digital modes "Spam Radio" you heard it here first folk!!!!

9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

zmbysm2.jpg
    Roll in those awards!!

W5TTP, K5ABB, VK2WP and 4 others like this.
  10. KK5JY

I like it. :)
    I thought this was basically what WSPR was about?? :D That mode doesn't even require a receiver... :eek: