The courtesy of a reply would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W1TRY, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have made repeated offers to buy as well as minor counter-offers to folks posting, in accordance with their wishes, via e-mail to the correct e-mail address with all of my contact information. The last 2 times, I offered a bit less than the asking price in a good faith attempt at negotiation ($425 vs. $450 asking) with no reply. I check to find that the item was sold a few hours later. Meanwhile, I've been watching my e-mail while out on the town, in the event that the seller has responded, and it's only fair to not keep them waiting.
    I personally would either reply that the I was too late, the item has been sold or that there is no room to negotiate (where I would most likely immediately agree to the asking price, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted the OPs time.)
    The times I've sold, I have responded to every e-mail out of respect as I expect most hams to either purchase, negotiate or ask questions.
    I think the courtesy of a reply is the right thing to do.
    That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

N0TZU and W7UUU like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Totally agree. It's really frustrating that some folks just do not communicate.

Dave
    W7UUU

W3ESE and W1TRY like this.
  3. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you very much Dave, I truly value your opinion. I feel better now! :)

W7UUU likes this.
  4. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have anything to add, this is merely a courtesy reply.:D

KJ4VTH and W1TRY like this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

And yet... that's exactly what we as hams purport to DO!

N3AB likes this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I no longer purchase anything on QRZ due to a series of bad experiences. It was pretty much par for the course to either be ignored via e-mail, or told "Sorry, sold" after being quick with a e-mail after a posting. And since "email sent" posts are frowned upon - or even deleted - it's hard to show the seller that you're interested if they don't check their email.

I am glad to see the changes recently, they are steps in the right direction, but it's still very much a sellers market here, with poor protection for the buyer. I'd certainly like to see better, more protective ground rules. The whole "No returns due to parts swappers" is really, "As is" - period. Call it as such. And without seller (and buyer) reputation scoring, you're taking a chance every time. Money Order? The fraud with these is staggering.

No thanks, I'll stick to eBay.

7. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever get or give an RST report to or from an email ?

I'm not suggesting the OP writes gibberish . I've been selling other than ham gear online for a while . I'm sure Dave @W7UUU can empathize. In the receiving case I'm sure the sender thought they were making perfect sense. In the sending case what is so hard to understand about " the spectrum analyzer in the photograph is not part of the sale" . I waited nearly a year to dispute a sale from that moron because the dog in the photograph was not included as part of the sale.

Are either of the above cases better or worse than no contact at all?

I'll agree that nothing at all is frustrating. The few local sellers on Craig's , OfferUp, et all that do respond with "sorry sold" vial email, txt, or voice are remembered or saved.

8. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you ask questions, some sellers will consider you a "looky loo". My experience has often been that if communication is difficult before the sale, it becomes exponentially worse afterwards (impossible), if a problem arises. Trust me, they're doing you a favor by ignoring you.

NN4RH, NE1U, N1VAU and 1 other person like this.
  9. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with K2CD ... this is not a RSVP. You have heard how hams talk to each other on the air?
    Don't expect Rules of Politeness or Robert's Rules of Order

I am not saying that I don't agree with the premise of politeness.

Another side of the story ... I have bought a few things thru eham & qrz. Two times the seller was slow to respond. Both times I emailed with no response. But, they were offering items that I have a lot of interest in and for a reasonable value. After several email "pings", each eventually responded apoligizing for late response because they were either traveling or don't look at email often (even when selling something ... but apparently not very often!) I received what I wanted and everyone was happy but persistence is important. There is nothing wrong by thinking you are a PITA (not the bread) by emailing the seller to stay at the top of their email list. Be patient.

KB2SUJ likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess it maters on the amount of junk mail they get. (Scams with RE: also)

I found that a call sign in the subject line to work the best for me.

AF7XT, NE1U and N1VAU like this.