The Cost of Smokes

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC5NYO, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have one comment to add to the gentlemen's comments about cigarettes adding cleaning problems to radios and computers, it's not just tobacco that does that. Long after I had quit smoking I installed a coffee brewer(Mr Coffee?) down here in the radio/computer room. I had a little grinder and ground fresh coffee down here and made the coffee on the spot. The coffiee pot was not very far from the computer screen and radios, from 3 to 6 feet probably. The computer screen was the farthest away from the coffee. One day after about a year of brewing my own coffee, I decided it was time for the annual(?) shack cleaning and I started in dusting and cleaning, when I got to the monitor, I found a very thick dark brown sticky film on the screen. At first I thought it was nicotine, it looked and felt much like it but I knew I had not smoked for several years at that point and probably not even had that monitor when I was smoking. The I looked at the stuff that came off on my cleaning rag and it was much darker then nicotine is. It finally dawned on my when I moved the coffee apparatus to clean the top of the area where it was resting and found a clean outline the shape of the coffee pot and a heavy sticky film, much heavier then on the desk where the computer and radios were. Apparently the coffee brewing has some residue in the steam when it is brewing and the stuff lands everywhere in the room or at least it did in this little room I have here for my hideaway. It took me less then 2 minutes to get the pot, the grinder and all the rest of the materials moved upstairs. I decided it was much better to run upstairs for each cup then have the sticky goo building up on everything down here.

Gary NØKLT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.