The Cost of Smokes

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC5NYO, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD7WHQ @ July 27 2003)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">An addiction it is, but I choose to continue.  By choice.
    Good job on your part though, and I hope it sticks.

I have seen more than a few hit the store for a pack within 6 weeks of quitting..[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yep, I hear it is tougher the further down the road it gets. But I have no choice now but to carry through with it....... I've posted on the Internet that I've quit, and would have to eat crow and look like a sap if I didn't!   [​IMG]

Admittedly, nicotine can have a pretty firm grip. “Nobody would get up at two in the morning and rummage around in a trash can for a toothbrush. But some people will do that in order to get a cigarette. It’s that powerful of an addiction,” says Mitchell Nides, Ph.D., psychologist at the University of California, Los Angeles.

73, Mike
    kc5nyo

2. W8FAX

W8FAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Good for you and hang on. I also quit a two pack plus habit about twenty years ago. Plus I smoked three or four big cigars a day. I chewed a lot of gum and drank a lot of milk. Also brushed my teeth a lot. I kept gum n my pockets and where I worked all the time. Often only just doing something with your hands, and a couple of chews will divert your craveing. Often hanging on by fingernails, the craveing slowly went away. I don't think it ever leaves 100 percent tho', as occaisionally the smoke from a stick smells good. If you have ever watched a loved one die of lung cancer, or any of the other afflictions caused by smoking, you know it is a death to be be avoided at all costs. Good luck to you..............

3. XV2PS

XV2PS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck, do not read the following story....
    I quit smoking 5 years ago from to packs a day of strong cigarets (30 cents a pack here for those who want to come...). Over night without any help. Lucky, I've never been dependent.

Now the sad story (you will convert from kg to pounds...).
    I was 76kg and came up to 99 and now stabilized at 94.
    It is equivalent to 2 full buckets of water to carry everyday. And at the end of the day, the 2 buckets you pour them on you head, because the heat, the weight and the fat insulating layer make you sweat like a pig.

Hope you could not read all [​IMG]

4. KC5NYO

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (XV2PS @ July 27 2003,07:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now the sad story (you will convert from kg to pounds...). I was 76kg and came up to 99 and now stabilized at 94. It is equivalent to 2 full buckets of water to carry everyday. And at the end of the day, the 2 buckets you pour them on you head, because the heat, the weight and the fat insulating layer make you sweat like a pig.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hi Pierre..... no worries here about the weight gain. At 6'0 and 66kg, I could easily handle another 10kg.   [​IMG]

73, Mike
    kc5nyo
    (6 days smoke-free)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

$4 a pack ..... thats about £2.47 uk, over here a pack of 20 costs around £4.50uk approx $7.30 and most of that is tax [​IMG]

6. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] shucks ..break OFF the FILTER off the end of that cigarette if you want the &quot; full nicotene effect &quot; !!....just break off the filter off one end, light up the other end and INHALE !! go for it, show us all how baaad you really are ! [​IMG]

7. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2 packs a day @ $4 a pack = $3K per year[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately I still smoke, however that is a choice that I have made knowing the pros and cons.  My cigarettes are purchased over the internet and I only pay $1.30 a pack, no taxes.

A year ago I put a web site up for those that have NO IDEA of how much taxes they are paying when purchasing cigarettes.

www.k3sam.com/cigarettes

If you don't smoke, or have never smoked, <span style='color:red'>DON'T START !</span>

-Sam

8. KC5NYO

[​IMG]0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k3sam @ July 27 2003,12[​IMG]0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2 packs a day @ $4 a pack = $3K per year[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately I still smoke, however that is a choice that I have made knowing the pros and cons.  My cigarettes are purchased over the internet and I only pay $1.30 a pack, no taxes.

A year ago I put a web site up for those that have NO IDEA of how much taxes they are paying when purchasing cigarettes.

www.k3sam.com/cigarettes

If you don't smoke, or have never smoked, <span style='color:red'>DON'T START !</span>

-Sam[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sam... I love ya man, but what are the &quot;pros&quot; of smoking? I'd love to see your list! 32 years and I never once could think of a &quot;good&quot; reason why I smoked 'em.  And why would you put the disclaimer in your post about NOT starting to smoke?

You have made &quot;no&quot; choice in keeping them sticks burning. Really. They have you by the nads. Go ahead, admit it. It's the first step in admitting that they're slowly killing you!

Oop's! Listen to me! Nothing worse than a reformed smoker, 'eh?! I'll step off now, sorry.

73, Mike
    kc5nyo
    (6-days smoke-free)

9. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, keep it up. I quit -- what, let me figure it out... it will be six years ago August 11. Tapered off gradually over eight months. Here's a hint: If you do lose your resolve and start again, don't let it discourage you. In that eight month period, I quit and re-started a few times. Don't assume because you failed once you can't do it, just quit again, as many times as it takes. Hopefully it will only be once.

I used to bum an occasional cigarette - maybe 2-3 per year. Now I can't even do that, not even with my old favorite Camel Lights. Can't stand them, I get nauseous when I take a drag now. I do enjoy an occasional cigar, maybe averaging hqalf a dozen a year or so. Doesn't make me want to go back to the cigs though.

Toughest part for me was giving up all the stuff, the lighter, cool ash tray, ever-present pack of smokes...

Dale - N0XAS
    (ex-smoker and still living with three of 'em)

10. EI5JA

EI5JA Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc5nyo @ July 26 2003,17:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2 packs a day @ $4 a pack = $3K per year

What a waste! Don't mind me, I'm just celebrating FIVE DAYS of being smoke-free! I would normally have smoked a carton (10 packs) of cigs in five days. For 32 years I've had a 2-pack-a-day habit.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Good stuff out of you Mike. Congratulations on your decision and your follow through. I hope thqt you can manage to continue and eventually dump the patches.
    I too was a 2 pack a day man until last January at which time I quit. I will not complain though, about passive or secondary smoking as I know how hard it is to quit. All those who pontificate about the rights of the non smoker give me a pain. they don't seem to realise that the tobacco companies included an addictive additive to cigarettes to make it easier to give up heroin than tobacco. I would encourage everyone to quit smoking but I would not demand that they do so, having had to
    make several abortive efforts before finally quitting. I cannot argue with those who say that smoking kills people as it has been proven to my satisfaction.
    I still get the odd 'bite' but I manage to ignore it. Keep it up and the best of Irish to you

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.