ad: ProAudio-1

The ColibriNANO SDR receiver review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a complete review of the ColibriNANO SDR HF Receiver from Experts Electronics. This unit can be used on a remote server with a Raspberry Pi 3. Watch the video for a complete demonstration.

You can also try it out on my Raspberry Pi 3 server using any web browser on any platform (HTML5) via the link below. Please be patient as it's only one user at a time. Keep in mind that if you have no reception I'm maybe using my antenna and the unit is to ground, please try it later on.

http://vpn.laboenligne.ca

Pascal VA2PV

Attached Files:

AE8W, K2NCC, W5LMM and 1 other person like this.
  2. W8TAT

W8TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking to use an SDR with my IC-718 do you have any infor on just how I can do just that? I lack some understanding of how to go about doing this but know it would be a help.
    W8TAT Tim

3. VA2PV

Hi Tim, it's possible but since your IC-718 doesn't have any IF out or RX out connexion you will need something to protect your SDR when you transmit. Since you can't directly share the same antenna, the only solution would be to get the DX Engineering RTR-2. I have the previous model, the RTR-1A and this is the way to go, you will then be able to share the antenna while protecting your SDR receiver. Hope this help. 73 Pascal VA2PV

4. VA2PV

Another thing, the IC-718 doesn't seam to have a com port, unless you can use the ACC. This is also necessary if you want to synchronize the SDR with the radio (changing frequency and modes at the sametime). 73

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the IC-718 may have a CI-V port, which is the proprietary Icom PC interface (equivalent to Yaesu CAT). Physically this usually is connected via a mini-phone jack and a signal converter from RS-232 port like a CT-17, but there are better options to that hardware now. Various programs like HRD, N1MM, etc, can connect via typical COM port addressing and exchange data like tuning parameters

VA2PV likes this.
  6. WD8BP

WD8BP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have recently purchased this ColibriNANO SDR HF Receiver from Experts Electronics. I have owned many SDR radio's, receivers and transceivers over the course of many yrs., such as: FLEX, Elecraft, Elad, DX Patrol, RTL-SDR, SDR-Play, Quicksilver QS1R, Funcube Dongle Pro+, AFEDRI SDR-NET, RF SPACE SDR-IQ and I am sure a few others....and I have to say that this receiver is one of the best I have ever used. PERIOD. The construction is 100% total quality made components. Outside case is a metal enclosure, no a cheap plastic cover snapped together. You will notice the weight that this receiver has right out of the box. Software. Hi-Res eye popping graphics that even has 4K ability option . This company makes operating this radio a pure pleasure. No opt'l .dll files to find and install. All drivers, etc are built right into the unit. Performance. It has a stunning super low noise floor, that has more adjustments to suit any mode, any band conditions. No external power needed. Powers right from your usb port. Many features found on this model are available on higher priced hf rigs. Not a CPU hog. Works great with an I5 processor. Remote access function as mentioned previously. The functions go on and on. If you are looking for a well constructed SDR radio, I would suggest this model. I am very pleased and happy with using this radio. While I like the ability to listen and view multi-bands at once like on the ELAD-SDR DUO, this model does have a dual channel ability. I have since sold all the SDR radio's I have had, minus the ELAD FM DUO, and when I'm interesting in listening to hf; this unit is now my go-to unit. Great customer support, and can be purchased within the US as well. Thanks for reading. I just had to share my thoughts about this SDR radio. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. 73 Mike

VA2PV, AE8W and K2NCC like this.
  7. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your effort in making this video and posting it. This SDR is $364.00 but is sold out (lucky me). I didn't see any killer features in the program that I didn't see in other programs. My favorite is SDR Console and it has run several flavors of RTL SDR Dongles, SDR Play RSP1, Hack RF and Lime SDR. In the past I have owned a Flex 3000 and currently use an Anan8000DLE. The NooElec NESDR I bought in February for $20.95 from Amazon puts this device to shame. The NooElec covers 25 to 1700 MHz while this unit go up to - well it doesn't matter.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    KD2RON likes this.
  8. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tim I have sent you an e-mail about the 718 mod it's pretty easy gl.
    David

9. KD2RON

KD2RON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can it be used with a mas (OS X)

10. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been accumulating parts over the past couple weeks for tapping a coax onto my IF on my TS-590s. I've had to order some pretty hard to find soldering lugs from China and now the SDRPlay 2 is out of stock at HRO (the only US distributor). So, I wait!

11. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Pascal VA2PV:

Thanks for the VPN demo link. Seems like a very nice SDR.

Pat

VA2PV likes this.
  12. VA2PV

I think they are working on it, please check with the manufacturer. But the Web interface works already on any platform. 73

13. KD2KOG

KD2KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

The RSP2/2Pro is in stock.

14. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Pascal VA2PV:

I noticed the SDR is not longer coming up. Did you take the device off line?

Enjoyed it, but understand nothing lasts forever. :)
    Pat

15. N3QQ

N3QQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Link above points to European dealer with EU prices. US Exclusive distributor of Expert Electronics products. ColibriNANO in stock.