ad: hrd-2

The C64

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by AB2YC, Apr 8, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the day of the C64, S.A.M. was way cool.

2. W0JPR

W0JPR Ham Member QRZ Page

Their wait will mostly be in vain.

While Ada will probably not fully disappear for a long time, it's very difficult (but not impossible) to get management to authorize any new projects using Ada simply because of the difficulty in recruiting people who know how to use it. Starting a project with staffing being a major risk item seriously impacts your ability to sell the project. For now most DoD projects for embedded systems are in C/C++. Other languages are coming up fast, especially for the app infrastructure on mobile/laptop/desktop targets. But Ada is not one of those.

For all intents and purposes, Ada is a "dead" language.

KY4GD likes this.
  3. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was my point. :)

W0JPR likes this.
  4. W0JPR

W0JPR Ham Member QRZ Page

I do remember everyone talking about Pascal as a teaching language. It was a good language for presenting basic iterative language structure. And I learned it well in Pascal before moving on. For my undergrad degree, all non-language specific classes were taught in Pascal.

That all changed when OOD languages became prevalent. Sure, Object Pascal was a thing and Borland tried hard to sell their Delphi system. But it never really went anywhere.

I started with BASIC on the TRS-80 when I was a kid. Dad had a Rockwell AIM-65 that he used for work and I wrote a couple of programs on it. But I moved up to the PC clone we got around 1984. First with BASIC and then Turbo Pascal before going to college. I didn't learn machine code until I got to college and then did a bunch for work on various architectures over the years. These days, I've avoided management and I stayed a technical engineer. I mostly use C++ for my embedded systems work with some Python thrown in for supporting what I do.

5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I started with assembly language on a OSI Challenger 1p with 4K of memory. My dad and I built a 4K expansion board for it.

I don’t do software for a living... only need to know enough to talk to my programming guys.

Pascal was great for me for the reasons that @W5UAA and @W0JPR are writing about.

Thanks for the memories! :p

W0JPR likes this.
  6. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did anyone else do a quickie program on a computer in EVERY Radio Shack they went in to continuously run their name ( or whatever )
    in BASIC?
    Or was that just me?

VE3CGA likes this.
  7. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

or Walmart :D:D

8. KY4GD

It was lots of us. It started as a simple spaghetti goto loop, became a series of peek and poke statements to alter the screen, and ultimately became a memorized variant of Tiny virus that could be built with debug.

HPAV for lyfe, my '1337 bros...

9. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to pull out the CPM programs and of course; Hangman!

10. KY4GD

I had an Osborne Executive on my desk at my first "real" job that ran CPM. Amazing computer, it folded up into a suitcase. The built in 3" monochrome was icing on the cake.