The C64

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by AB2YC, Apr 8, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first cell company used a Motorola EMX500 Switch with Motorola LD sites. I used a Model 100 to monitor the teleprinter line and if something went out of service, it would send commands to the switch to try to restore it to service. It would try 3 times and if it failed it would light a red light (tape motor control) and the night guard would call me. I could dial in from home to see if I needed to go into the center. The 100 program was called "little mutha".

My second company used a Stromburg Carlson digital switch. I used the 100 to gather statistics on channel and trunk usage which I would dump once a month and use Lotus 123 to run a report on the data. I could compute Erlang usage, etc. The 100 was usable because I was only interested in the 10 busiest hour for each cell and trunk. Fun days.

2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

interesting product. Lately I've been thinking about hookin up my vic20 or C64 and having a retro-day out of it.
    Would have been nice if they were faster, still use them if I had a purpose. Only thing I did not enjoy was a kybd, power supply, storage unit, monitor and whatever plugged into the user port or cartridge, too much desk space.

While working at 3M National Parts, one thing we serviced was 3M's Whisper-Writer and Sypro telex terminals.
    We used 2 costly telex lines. The manager complained about their cost. While playing with rtty on my C64 I looked into the telex spec & ended up making a central office telex simulator. Took the 6502 & 6522 off a dead vic20, wire wrapped them on a vector board, programmed with Jim Butterfields asm, burnt a rom, added a selectable power supply & interface for all CN TELEX settings.
    After using that for a week or so, telex lines were removed and we used that "vic-in-a-box" until telex dried up. I ended up with the box and still have it stored away.
    This photo of CN London, Ontario being inploded brought the VIC20 telex simulator to mind.
    Really enjoyed interfacing & programming them with electronic projects.
    upload_2021-4-15_8-57-24.png

K2CAJ likes this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Atari guy here. While I pined for the Commodore PET, it was beyond my budget. Rumor has it the Atari was almost chosen by IBM to become their PC. Being conversant in IBM 360/370 Assembler, I found the 6502 chip both limited and exciting!

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have very fond memories of finally "grasping machine code" when programming a 65XX (VIC20, 6510 C64). It was really fun for me to actually understand what I was doing rather than just typing in a program. IMO, the 65XX chips were far and away the easiest processors at the time to learn machine code, and at the same time have enough oomph to actually do something quite useful.

But then I moved to Zilog Z80 Intel 8080 and my heart sank fast... far more powerful than the 65XX but also far more difficult for me to understand at the same time.

Dave
    W7UUU

WJ4U likes this.
  5. KX8C

KX8C QRZ Lifetime Member #153 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My first real software programming was on a 6510 on the C64. That introduced me to the world beyond simple basic. Next time I had to deal with machine code was in college in a microprocessor class but I don't recall what that was with. Probably Intel. And I've been touching code ever since. Excel VBA has been the most recent activity.

73 de KX8C Jim

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Leading Edge floppy disk. For the cost of that first computer today I can get a nice laptop that I don't have to have a bootup disc.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

But never forget: A Commodore 64 with 1541 drive (etc.) today does exactly ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of what it was designed to do when it was first sold...

...it's only our expectations that have changed ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

AB2YC and W4IOA like this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

If it only had spell check eh Dave?

9. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It got a lot of people into computers and they learned how to program.

10. W7UUU

Absolutely! Myself among them.

Dave
    W7UUU