The C64

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by AB2YC, Apr 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a TRS-80 when was a Kid, I seem to recall it having a Tape Deck? I don't recall. I recall my parents purchasing games at Radio Shack (Downland was my favorite).

My C64 came after that, then a Commodore Colt purchased at "Toys R Us" I believe. Then came the 286 (MS DOS) and down the road I went..

Such a cool era to grow up in.

Radio Shack, Egghead software, visiting Babbages in the mall for Games.

Dialing up a BBS to download games only to get knocked off the Modem cause someone picked up the Phone....lol....

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget the one-line infinite maze program:

10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1));:GOTO 10

3. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yeah, nibble editors and the like. I was Apple ][+ for many years, and "Locksmith" was the big one.

Lotsa other phun software. Phantom Access comes to mind...

4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ran TBBS on a Model III, then me and another guy wrote a BBS for the Color Computer under OS9. We had two phone lines and the local keyboard...3 users on the CoCo. Also added the hard drive.

Later ported the 'c' code over to the Atari ST, a 6800 based computer. I wrote a multi tasking, multi user core that was about 7K resident. Got the two line BBS back up and transferred the message base from the CoCo.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  6. KY5U

I loved the model 100. I was the secretary for two large associations and used the 100 for notes. I had a floppy to save to.

KA2CZU likes this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have mine! I think it's great. My son took it to high school to make a show of taking notes. The other kids went nuts until they found out what it was made of... No WiFi!?! 300 baud modem!?!

KA2CZU likes this.
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty sure the ST was 68010? 6800s were buried by then; 6809s still viable...

9. KY5U

Yep I left off a zero. I meant 68000 and yes the Coco was 6809. Years later a cell shop had a radio tester that they said was broken and not working and the company was out of business. It turned out the control computer was using a 6809 processor and OS9. I was easily able to fix the tester and they used it until AMPS service was retired.

10. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our shop had a cell tester for AMPS analog mobile subscriber units that required a C64 for control. I think it was called a Jackrabbit. You could command TX, RX, channel change, TX power levels 0-7, etc. in order to make tests with standard mobile radio test equipment. I'm pretty sure I have it stored somewhere after the boss tossed it.

Personally, I started with a C64, Floppy drive, and Star Micronics printer. I made up my own long daisy-chain DIN interface cables so I could arrange the peripherals how I wanted them.

Thinking about it now, Ii think I added a system reset button on the front of the floppy drive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    K2CAJ likes this.